how to set up RAID

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MaveRick23, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Hello MDL,

I need your help in set up RAID.

I have pluged 2 HDD on my PC and should i set up RAID and how to do it?

or does it gives me better impovements ot performances or something else, will it get my PC more better.

thanks for supporting in advanced.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usualy CTRL I for some raid rom access to create an array

3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    With two drives your options are raid0 or raid1.

Raid0 - the data is "striped" across both drives, doubling drive capacity. Two 1TB drives gives you a 2TB raid. Performance is improved as the two drives share reading/writing of data. There is no data redundancy. As a matter of fact, if one drive fails, all of your data is lost - period. Need to have a good backup plan with raid0.

Raid1 - both drives contain the same data. Two 1TB drives gives you a 1TB raid. There is no performance increase. But there is data redundancy. If one drive fails, you replace it. The good drive then copies the data to the new drive in the background. Minimum downtime and you have all of your data. Obviously, you need a third (or more), unused drive on hand as a replacement.

The above is just a primer. You should read up more about raid configurations before diving in. (Just my suggestion).