How to stop the guest OS from infecting the host OS?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Windows user, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Does anyone know how to keep the Host OS protected from any Virus that is present in the Virtual Machine (Guest OS) ?

I am using NAT network configuration in VMWare Player & I want to keep the Host OS safe from any viruses that might be present in the guest OS.

2. Wishbringer

Wishbringer MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    A VM is a Sandbox.
    Only connection is over LAN or when activated the shared folders.

3. Windows user

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes,I am aware of that but, the question is...I am using NAT network configuration to connect the VM to the internet, does that mean any virus present in the VM will be able to transfer itself through the network to infect the host PC? :confused:

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    if you must connect a system infected with a virus (something you shouldn't do, since it will potentially propagate itself to the internet as a slave), or potentially infected. You can use your router to isolate the particular ip from the rest of the network,

If you are not sure if there is a virus on a vm, why would you give it access to any network, period?. Sure... protect your own network, but leaving access to any internet connection means the virus (by nature) will attempt to find another place to infect and propagate itself.

Virus' are designed to spread themselves, knowingly allowing any network access to a potentially infected system is IMO, negligent and foolish.

5. Windows user

Sep 11, 2012

I asked coz, I just got a PUP from CNET & that's why I asked....apparently not all software on their website is safe & scanned for viruses :eek: although it was having good reviews.

I removed it using Malwarebytes but, was still worried.

6. james071

james071 MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    make sure shared folder are turned off. disconnect the network on the guest.

download live running antivirus such as kaspersky and run a deep scan. run multiple times the scan. malwarebyte is great tool as you mentioned.

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    You can't be too careful and are wise to have Malwarebytes in conjunction with a good anti-virus protection. But a PUP is hardly a virus. And just about everything out there wants to make Google Chrome your default browser and also install the Google Toolbar. Read every dialog closely, and check with MDL folks (and elsewhere) before proceeding with anything questionable.

8. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    The network is not the only attack vector when you run VMs. VM<->hypervisor communication is a complex system in itself and holes can be anywhere in the device drivers, in VMware Tools, ...

Don't think that VMs are a silver bullet and the hypervisor is flawless.

If you suspect a VM of running malware, roll it back to a clean snapshot. Protect the host system in any case as good as you can. Disable all options you don't absolutely need - shared folders, video acceleration, shared clipboards and so on.