How to Survive Until Oct 22 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Puhu, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MrCobra

MrCobra MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    It also entitles you to everything that's on there. I bought a Tecnet sub for $100 cheaper than that with a "coupon". $249 for Windows, Server, Office 2007 and when Office 2010 is on there as well. Really not a bad deal.

2. torrentwin

torrentwin MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009

That a good deal. Where we can find that 100$ rebate coupon :)

3. caudex

caudex MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2007
    Not expensive since it gives you 10 FULLY activatable keys for the price.
    The 10 copies are supposed to be used for "Testing" purposes according to the EULA however hahaha we are MDL ...... i don't think you'd really care.

4. caudex

caudex MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2007
    Windows 7 for me has been super super nice.
    Boot up is ALOT faster than XP or Vista.

Copying files has no problems in Win7, in Vista sometimes when i copied a file the copying window would FREEZE until it finishes copying then disappears.

When i first installed Windows Vista, i saw the BSOD quite often until I poked around for workarounds or solutions.

From when i installed Windows 7 beta till now the RTM Version, i have yet to even see the damned Windows 7 BSOD screen...... can somebody tell me how to make it BSOD just so i can experience the "Windows 7 experience" of BSOD?

Also if your Windows 7 takes more than 30-40seconds to load into windows, then be sure to update your RAID/IDE/SATA Drivers. When i installed Windows 7 onto my PC, boot up time would take like 1-2minutes, when i installed proper raid/ide/sata drivers this fixed everything.

Driver wise don't be afraid of using Vista Drivers. Most of them work on Windows 7. If your device has no Win 7 drivers then try out using the Vista Drivers.

5. str8

str8 MDL Expert

Jul 3, 2009
    Hello caudex, how did you manage to recover your Sony?

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    If you really want the "Windows 7 Experience" go delete your windows folder and reboot :D

All kidding aside, Win 7 is Just Vista under the hood with a better "engine".

7. nightstorm

nightstorm MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    #27 nightstorm, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    This is the best summary of the topic I have ever seen, and it is spot on! :D Back when Vista was released I had a top notch computer, newly bought components and assembled myself. It ran, and continues to run, Vista Ultimate SP1 64 excellently. At first I had 2 gig ram, as I had XP only before (dual-boot now though only as a safety measure in case of a crash or something).

I play a lot of games, a lot. And my FPS increased by 15-25% or so depending when I play in Vista compared to XP. Vista needs more hardware, but once it gets it it performs admirably. I haven't had to reinstall since I first installed it, and it almost didn't bloat (XP did, a lot). Bootup time for me, from when I push the button until it is in OS is about 1 minute and 10 seconds. Which is perfectly fine by me.

Will I change to Windows 7? Sure, some time. But I think I'll wait until after Christmas at least maybe even summer 2010 so things are ironed out and well.

It will be exciting to see if I really get that much more performance out of Win7 over Vista. :)

8. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    $349? If I can choose between paying money and saving money I take the modded bios version.

9. Digitalhoward

Digitalhoward MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    It all seems rather pointless to fork out for a technet sub when the files are available on torrent sites and alike. You are no more legal using a technet license than a pirated one as technet is for evaluation purposes only and if you intend to use the file as your OS, you are breaking the EULA, same as a pirate who got their download for free.

10. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    #30 yaluza1967, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    PrEzi, save your time :D

work with all windows since 2K

disabled service for use as workstation

save as .bat, it's a tweak of WinVista2008_Services_Optimizer.BAT where wireless network don't work.

Code:
    TITLE Services Optimizer DISABLED
    @echo off
    @echo ==============================================================================
    @echo Windows Services Optimizer (C) 2009
    @echo ==============================================================================
    @echo.
    @echo This batch script automatically optimizes services running in Windows Vista
    @echo and Windows Server 2008
    @echo.
    @echo IMPORTANT: The default configuration configured in the batch script is by no
    @echo mean suitable for everybody.
    @echo.
    @pause
    @echo Description of Windows Services Optmizer commands:
    @echo.
    @echo            1.AUTO: Automatic
    @echo            2.DEMAND: Manual
    @echo            3.DISABLED: Disable
    @echo.
    @echo User can personalize this optimizer batch script based on these 3 commands.
    @echo.
    @echo Press Enter to start optimizing Windows services.
    @pause>null
    cls

@echo.

@echo ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

@echo Name: Computer Browser
    @echo Description: Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: If not browing Local Area Network (LAN), this service is not required. Other it's good to enable the service as it maintains and updates list of computers on the network.
    @echo Default: Automatic
    @echo Recommendation: Disabled
    sc config   Browser start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Diagnostic Policy Service
    @echo Description: The Diagnostic Policy Service enables problem detection, troubleshooting and resolution for Windows components.  If this service is stopped, diagnostics will no longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: Windows Vista or IE7 may occasionally pops up dialog box to ask if user want it to help finding the cause and resolution to the problem. However, 99% of the time it doesn't help much to resolve the issue, can be disabled.
    @echo Recommendation: DEMAND
    sc config   DPS start= DEMAND

@echo Name: Distributed Link Tracking Client
    @echo Description: Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network.
    @echo Comment: Required for system using NTFS file system.
    @echo Recommendation: DISABLED
    sc config   TrkWks start= DISABLED

@echo Name: IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
    @echo Description: The IKEEXT service hosts the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and Authenticated Internet Protocol (AuthIP) keying modules. These keying modules are used for authentication and key exchange in Internet Protocol security (IPsec). Stopping or disabling the IKEEXT service will disable IKE and AuthIP key exchange with peer computers. IPsec is typically configured to use IKE or AuthIP; therefore, stopping or disabling the IKEEXT service might result in an IPsec failure and might compromise the security of the system. It is strongly recommended that you have the IKEEXT service running.
    @echo Comment: Primarily used for authentication purpose on VPN and other network environment.
    sc config   IKEEXT start= DISABLED

@echo Name: IP Helper
    @echo Description: Provides automatic IPv6 connectivity over an IPv4 network.  If this service is stopped, the machine will only have IPv6 connectivity if it is connected to a native IPv6 network.
    @echo Comment: Provides support for IPv6, which is not yet neccessary at this time.
    sc config   iphlpsvc start= DISABLED

@echo Name: IPsec Policy Agent
    @echo Description: Internet Protocol security (IPsec) supports network-level peer authentication, data origin authentication, data integrity, data confidentiality (encryption), and replay protection.  This service enforces IPsec policies created through the IP Security Policies snap-in or the command-line tool "netsh ipsec".  If you stop this service, you may experience network connectivity issues if your policy requires that connections use IPsec.  Also,remote management of Windows Firewall is not available when this service is stopped.
    @echo Comment: Some corporate network requires IPsec to provide secure connection on TCP/IP from client to server. In other cases, disable is recommended.
    sc config   PolicyAgent start= DISABLED

@echo Name: KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    @echo Description: Coordinates transactions between MSDTC and the Kernel Transaction Manager (KTM).
    @echo Comment: Mostly used by developers and programmers.
    @echo Default: Automatic (Delayed Start)
    sc config   KtmRm start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Offline Files
    @echo Description: The Offline Files service performs maintenance activities on the Offline Files cache, responds to user logon and logoff events, implements the internals of the public API, and dispatches interesting events to those interested in Offline Files activities and changes in cache state.
    @echo Comment: Can be disabled if not going to store a cached offline copy of Internet files.
    sc config   CscService start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Remote Registry
    @echo Description: Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: For standalone PC, not required, unless user is managing multiple computers.
    @echo Default: Manual
    sc config   RemoteRegistry start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Secondary Logon
    @echo Description: Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: Provides support for two users log on to a computer simultaneously. Personal user does not require it.
    sc config   seclogon start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Server
    @echo Description: Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: Provides file, print and named-pipe sharing for the computer. Not required if not sharing anything, especially on stand-alone system.
    sc config   LanmanServer start= DISABLED

@echo Name: SSDP Discovery
    @echo Description: Discovers networked devices and services that use the SSDP discovery protocol, such as UPnP devices. Also announces SSDP devices and services running on the local computer. If this service is stopped, SSDP-based devices will not be discovered. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: The service can discover SSDP-support devices and UPnP devices. It can display UPnP devices in Device Manager, so should not be disabled. As best set it to manual so that it can run when needed.
    sc config   SSDPSRV start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Tablet PC Input Service
    @echo Description: Enables Tablet PC pen and ink functionality.
    @echo Comment: Can disable if not using Table PC and handwriting.
    sc config   TabletInputService start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Terminal Services
    @echo Description: Allows users to connect interactively to a remote computer. Remote Desktop and Terminal Server depend on this service.  To prevent remote use of this computer, clear the checkboxes on the Remote tab of the System properties control panel item.
    @echo Comment: Required by Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and services related to Terminal Services.
    sc config   TermService start= DISABLED

@echo Name: UPnP Device Host
    @echo Description: Allows UPnP devices to be hosted on this computer. If this service is stopped, any hosted UPnP devices will stop functioning and no additional hosted devices can be added. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: Main service to support UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) devices on computer.
    sc config   upnphost start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Windows Error Reporting Service
    @echo Description: Allows errors to be reported when programs stop working or responding and allows existing solutions to be delivered. Also allows logs to be generated for diagnostic and repair services. If this service is stopped, error reporting might not work correctly and results of diagnostic services and repairs might not be displayed.
    @echo Comment: Everybody, including Microsoft hopes that Windows Vista runs smoothly without error. The fact that error still happen means that even if you send the error report to Microsoft, it may be of useless. 
    sc config   WerSvc start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Windows Search
    @echo Description: Provides content indexing and property caching for file, email and other content (via extensibility APIs).  The service responds to file and email notifications to index modified content.  If the service is stopped or disabled, the Explorer will not be able to display virtual folder views of items, and search in the Explorer will fall back to item-by-item slow search.
    @echo Comment: Desktop search for Windows Vista and Office. Resource intensive. Disable if not required or using third party desktop search.
    sc config   WSearch start= DISABLED

@echo Name: Windows Time
    @echo Description: Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    @echo Comment: Synchronize local time with Internet time server. Set to manual if user prefer to manually sync computer as and when required.
    @echo Recommendation: Manual
    sc config   W32Time start= DEMAND

pause
    cls
    color 2A
    @echo.
    @echo Services optimization completed.
    @echo Restart the computer to take effect.
    @echo.
    pause

11. mgx

mgx MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #31 mgx, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    >

12. jeremfg

jeremfg MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    That's exactly what I've been telling people since Vista SP1 came out... Where it all began to settle down, drives becoming availables, etc.

Who remembers how people were saying "Stick with windows 2000, XP is so buggy, always crashes!" :p

But hey, this is exactly how humans are... Fast to criticize, and never listening to other, sticking with their wrong opinion and telling everyone who listens. Vista quicly became a superb OS, much quickly than XP.

13. caudex

caudex MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2007
    Had to get Sony to fix it under warranty. They replaced the m/b.

14. peterparkerr

peterparkerr MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Do as you wish, you can install it now. You do not have to wait for two months to get it. It would be worth the price you will pay for it.