how to unlock MPM on older HP laptop?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by x86, Sep 20, 2020.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Got myself a HP640 and want use the DMI (NBDmitFit tool) in order to fidle with the laptop name etc

When I boot using my FreeDOS USB, the tool complains that this MPM (Manufacturers Programming Mode) is not unlocked. After some research, I found this needs a SMC.bin file with is prepped based on unique laptop basis (e.g. UUID or serial). Do I really need to take the hassle and go through HP in order to prepare this for me (if they do, since this is way out warranty...) or is there another way around this?

p.s. version of the NBDmitFit tool I tried was one of the latest ones (2.12)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. imranromi

imranromi MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2017
    You need read bios chip and post here i can unlock via bios dump.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Can you 'teach' me how to do that? I m want to learn how to do it...what tools can I use to read the dump (when I learn how to get one!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Does anyone have any tools / links to tutorial that I can follow to experiment with this?

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    So you basically got external hardware (reader) for the BIOS and then re-flash modded BIOS - I see.

There is no other way (via software only) that I could attempt?
    As I said at the begining this is something I d like to learn to do for fun - it's not like I need a password unlock or any other specific mod.
    But with that MPM in place, I can't attempt any :(
    There's also tons of tools in another BIOS thread, but not sure which is applicable (if any!). Don't feel like bricking my laptop!

7. imranromi

imranromi MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2017
    I dont think have software solve your problem only time waste