[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dude905

dude905 MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Hi... No disrespect but can someone explain why one needs to do what Yen mentions with GenuineTicket.xml ? All I ever did was when I installed windows 10 when doing installment and windows ask for license keys at the beginning of the installment I just enter my retail 8 key and afterward I have windows 10 installed and activated. Am I missing something? Oh yeah and this is on a custom build PC. I'm not 100 % positive but I don't think I upgraded to 10 prior, thanks

2. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    The tuto at OP is useful in case members prefer to do fresh install of win10 and don't have license key to activate win10 and get digital license.
    This tuto does not apply in your case as you have win8 license key to activate win10.
    But members can now activate their win10 edition very easily in one click through Hwid tool (MAS) without the need of using this tutorial anymore. Google it and you'll find the tool.

3. dude905

dude905 MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Wait, I don't get it can anyone that is using a activate W7 or W8 retreat their license keys and then use them? Or is it just the keys itself the whole thing having legit ones?

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Just the without going through the complete upgrade process part :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    No, the tuto is based on generating GenuineTicket.xml from win7/win8.1 activated then apply it on win10 to get the activation done with digital license.
    Read the first post, it is well detailed and describes the procedure to follow to get win10 activated through gatherosstate
    As i said in my previous message, this tuto can be applied for those who prefer to do fresh install of win10 rather than performing an upgrade to win10 from win7/win8.1 activated.

6. IsaacDavidson

IsaacDavidson MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2021
    I was looking for it

7. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Why not just use MAS to get HWID Activation? Simple 1 maybe 2 clicks and done. Permanent Activation.

8. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Everyone is free to use whatever method works for them. This tutorial is simply for those that want to do the official upgrade from a licensed Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, but without installing one Windows over the other. Instead of Windows 7/8.1 -> Windows 10 upgrade -> Windows 10 clean install, you backup the gatherosstate and do Windows 7/8.1 -> Windows 10 clean install. I only resort to other methods when this doesn't work, but it hasn't failed yet. Ok, maybe it failed once or twice due to stupidity between the chair and the keyboard...

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The old "legit" method, described at the OP, only works for Home (+N) and Pro (+N), that's why the latest HWID developments are now preferred.

10. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I don't use anything other than Home/Pro, it's usually for desktops/laptops of friends and/or colleagues ;) But I'll try that new method the next time.

11. tli

tli MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    Does this method still work? I've used it successfully a dozen different times in the past years with various Win 10 builds for x86 and x64 systems. However, when I tried it last week, the method failed for the first time for me. I'd to resort to using MAS to activate the Win 10 install. The failure could've been user error but, again, I've done so successfully in the past with the same procedure. Just curious... MAS is way easier and seemingly more robust. Will be my go-to method from now on...

12. kylin007

kylin007 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2021
    Hello

i have a question for who have used MAS for Win 10 activation

This repo github.com/massgravel/Microsoft-Activation-Scripts/releases is good or its a fake

Because in the readme its say gatherosstate.exe version 10.0.14393.0 is from Microsoft but the file is not signed.

When i extract gatherosstate.exe (10.0.14393.0) from iso W10 1607 its signed and bigger than MAS version

The file on Github is corrupted or not ?

Thanks

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  14. NoviceForever

NoviceForever MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2021
    Can confirm this works for clean install of Windows 11 from activated Windows 10 too.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's pretty much expected because the HWID is for all 10 and 11 installs the same, simply upgrading or clean install without any other actions would have achieved the same..

win 7/8.1 > 11 should not get the free hwid anymore, but hey, look at my sig:D

16. zaphod77

zaphod77 MDL Junior Member

Nov 6, 2014
    So does this still work, now that windows 11 is out?

Also, you can essentially do a clean install through the upgrade process by choosing to "keep nothing". this actually wipes your C drive, and leaves any other drive untouched

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The full upgrade from an activated win 7 > 11 didn't provide the free hwid, check my sig for help;)

18. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    Hello, how are you? I did this method like three years ago and it worked great.

Now I have a new PC, an Intel 12700k on a MSI Z690 motherboard, and I want to do it again.

The problem is that when I boot Windows 7 installation from a USB stick, it gets frozen in the first screen.

I learnt that W7 installation is not compatible with USB 3, but the same happen when I plug the USB stick in a USB 2 port, and when the USB stick is an old USB 1 or 2.

I copied the files with Rufus in UEFI mode (because if I do it in the other mode, “Legacy”, I can’t boot even if I change BIOS settings, because it tells me that it can’t use Legacy with an integrated GPU (from the 12700).

So, it is very complicated and I am wasting a lot of time with this. What could I do?

I can try burning a DVD and install my DVD/Bluray drive in the new PC. (And by the way, the W7 ISO I was trying to install was 5.49 GB, curiously, because I have other which is like 3 GB, and the first one can’t be burned in a DVD)

Or… what else? Is it about the USB port? Can W7 be installed in a M.2 drive?

Also, I could install Windows 10 directly, and try to transfer the license via Microsoft Account, as someone mentioned before (and giving Microsoft a hotmail email I don’t use, because I don’t like the idea that my Windows is linked to my main email). Will this work?

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why not install 10/11 and just use a HWID on the fly tool, check the tool mentioned in my sig;)

20. Pachico

Pachico MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2018
    I see, thank you.

What is this tool, MAS? Do you get a clean activation like the one with the genuine ticket trick?

Is there a single page with a summary of how this MAS works?

Oh… I am tired of investigating and trying things … I just want to install Windows