How to use customized sound events

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Phil9000, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Phil9000

Phil9000 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    Hi all,

My previous experience with Win8 has been as an upgrade from Win7 now I just tried a fresh install and ran into this problem. I have a number of old WAV files that I have used for specific "sound events" in Windows since Win95. I have always copied these WAV files in the windows/media folder and was able to assign the sound file to the sound event using CP:SOUND. This no longer is true. The WAV files do not play.

Win8 refuses to use WAV files which are not from a "TRUSTEDINSTALLER". So even though the WAV files I want to use are in the same folder as the ones included with Win8, I cannot use them to customize my sound theme.

Importing to Win8 the "AppEvents" reg keys from a Win7 to Win8 installation does not work. This is strange because if you upgrade from a Win7 installation with the customized sound events to a Win8 installation, Win8 will accept the customized WAV files even though they are not tagged "TRUSTEDINSTALLER". BTW, copying the WAV files from the upgraded Win7 -> Win8 to a clean Win8 installation does not resolve the problem.

The only solution that would seem to work is to change the security tags on my customized WAV files to include "TRUSTEDINSTALLER" but I haven't found anyway of doing this.

Any ideas?

Phil

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    So you are saying when you used the upgrade assistant to go from 7-->8 and created an ISO for the upgrade and choosing the save files option that those files if put into a new W8 ISO for clean install do not have the desired result ?

3. Phil9000

Phil9000 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    No When I previously upgraded from Win7 to Win8 (with Win8 ISO) I did not use the upgrade assistant. All settings and customizations from Win7 were present in Win8.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That mean you started the upgrade from within ISO (USB or DVD) and had chose to upgrade instead of a clean install, or am I wrong?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Phil9000

Phil9000 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    The system on which I CAN'T customize the sound scheme is a clean installation of Win8 from ISO.
    The system on which I CAN still customize the sound scheme is an upgrade installation from Win7 to Win8 from ISO.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Is it simply the absence of an elevated cmd, performing as admin?

7. Phil9000

Phil9000 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    Found a solution!
    Apparently, Windows 8 on a clean installation does not use WAV files for "system events" unless the sound files have a sample rate of at least 44.1 KHz and a sample size of 16 bit.
    Odd because on my Win7 --> Win8 system the same sound files played without requiring the conversion to 44.1 KHz.

Thx to all who took an interest!