How To Use More Than 4 GB Of RAM

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by CaptainSpeleo, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Intel and compatible 64bit processors are of architecture x64 (also called amd64, as AMD had it first).
    Intel had also Itanium 64bit processors with architecture IA64. These are not x64 nor x86 compatible and can not run 32bit software.

2. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    I'm honestly impressed by your ignorance and lack of basic computer architecture knowledge at this point. Please repent.
    IA64 is not a processor it's an architecture.
    Neither 32-bit x86 nor 64-bit x86 (x86_64/amd64) that we're talking about.
    IA64 has no PAE.

You cannot "cross-optimize" the same kernel for completely different architectures.
    It's not even close to PAE (though their use is similar). EMS was implemented by a piece of hardware that did operations with the extended RAM region through driver software or (extremely slowly) by utilizing a paging driver that MS-DOS by itself never supported.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    I sure didn't mean to start a war of words and insults here.

Anyway, this is what the system properties and task manager looks like after deploying the patch in my Dell OptiPlex 980 which has 16 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Properties Window.JPG Task Manager Window.JPG

4. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    and after all these decades, we learned that an IA64 is a processor :)

however this forum is great for sharing all the official MSDN ISOs ... for these topics there are other forums

Windows 95 was unable to start it on processors above 2.1Ghz, FALSE
    Windows 9x was unable to boot with more than 1-2GB of RAM, FALSE
    Windows XP 32bit recognizes no more than 3GB, FALSE

In all these years, on other forums many patches have been released that overcome these barriers that Microsoft itself believed "impossible"!

5. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    seem obvious here are some people believe on to the Santa Claus
    I would not dissuaded from his opinion (would be pointless)

you have found the Columbus' egg

6. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    @vanelle

do you want a tip? limited to releasing SHA1 by continuing to say that it has but not from :)
    for the rest I think you don't even know how the inside of a PC is made ... let alone the difference between various architectures and memories.
    I have no more time to waste on topics covered years ago and which on other forums are full of information and methodology

7. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    have fun with your patch

8. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    This is precisely why every single of your replies up to this point made absolutely no sense.
    Everyone is throwing facts at you - you reply with your opinion.

There is no room for groundless opinions when discussing purely technical topics.
    If you think you're above that, you're not - you're just wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    you're not the only one who has used MS-DOS heavily ... many of us were born with this operating system ...
    those who understood memory never used the EMM386.EXE driver, for example with the MEMMAKER.EXE program but much more advanced software such as QEMM
    the 600KB that used some games, with EMM386 were practically a mirage ... instead easy to obtain with QEMM

Here we are not talking about strengths and weaknesses, the question is simple ...
    Can 32-bit Windows XP use more than 4GB of RAM ?! The answer is yes!
    Then other problems such as stability come out ... that's another story ...

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  11. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    My friend, if you don't understand anything from the images I published ... your problem is much more serious than I thought :)
    If Windows XP as you say it doesn't work with more than 3GB of RAM ... how can I use multiple Virtual Machines at the same time, using more than 5GB of RAM in a 32-bit system ?!
    Don't worry, don't answer ... better keep quiet than keep making bad figures :)

12. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    I followed the same procedure and used it in my Dell Precision M6400 17.3" laptop which is running Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit(updated to May 2019) and has these specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz processor
    8 GB(2 GB x 4) DDR3-1066 RAM
    128 GB SSD

Before the procedure was used, the laptop had 3.48 GB of usable RAM.
    After the procedure was used, the laptop has 7.98 GB of usable RAM.