How to Use New Phoenix Bios Mod Tool to Modify Phoenix/Dell/Insyde/EFI Bios Files

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Busykid508, Nov 30, 2009.

1. soneto

soneto MDL Novice

May 14, 2013
    i tried to update my bios and failed..
    now it tells me "me FW update failed pls try again"
    i tried to do a bios recoveovery by holding windows key and B botton .
    the leds flashed for about 10 seconds then it restarted and displayed that it has updated succesfully and also displayed code 500 success.
    now if i start my system it displays the same message,"me FW update failed pls try again" but powers off abruptly 15-20 mins leta..
    tried hp assistant but was told to replace the the board and i know this is not tru...
    plzz i am a new user and an amerture as a stsp by step guide would be helpful...
    thanks..
    have also downloaded and updated the most corrent bios out for it "F23" which didnt work ​

2. nekromantik

nekromantik MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    Hi people
    I am trying to mod and flash a BIOS for a Dell laptop.
    I get a .bin file so I have made a copy and renamed it to .fd as it says on the instructions. I downloaded the latest certs and slics and then select Dell slic from the downloaded files.
    Question is do I need to modify both the .bin and .fd files? Issue is I get different SLIC 2.1 code depending on if I use bin or fd.
    Once I done the mod do I need to rename the new files to stock names and delete and originals and flash?
    Thanks

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What is the model of the laptop??

4. Jaxem

Jaxem MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    I've successfully gotten the .FD file from the HP executable, but when i try to open in with Phoenix, it says "Not Phoenix/Dell/Insyde/EFI BIOS" it is definitely an Insyde bios, i'm confused what's going wrong, any thoughts?

5. cytherian

cytherian MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2013
    I have a few questions.

laptop: HP dv6-6145dx (AMD)
    Insyde BIOS: F20

• So, for manufacturer I still select "other" despite "HP" being in the list?
    • For the SLIC file, RW Report says mine is HPQOEM[SLIC-MPC], v2.1. What about the certificate files located with the SLIC files? Do I ignore those?
    • If I intend on modifying the white list ROM, I take it that I perform the edit and save while the dialog is open that informs me "you may now modify dump files"? Once done click "OK" and then the tool will continue with compiling the new BIN file with my changes?

6. cytherian

cytherian MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2013
    It would be REALLY GREAT if someone could modify the first post in this thread with the following disclaimer:

If your BIOS is RSA signed (you can find this out [here]), note that it is pointless to bother looking further into modifying the BIOS. The RSA signature has a complex algorithm that makes it immensely difficult to break. And even still, people who have successfully flashed such a modified BIOS end up running into problems, such as a system halt that forces removal of the CMOS battery.

Bottom line: If your BIOS is too restrictive for your needs, consider getting yourself a different computer, one without such BIOS restrictions.

7. tutti21

tutti21 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2013
    Hello I have a Lenovo and want to Mod my Bios but I get a error unable to add SLIC code. whitch Code must I select? have the newest version of Bios Version: 1.14 OEM ID TP-GF

8. XpamAmAdEuS

XpamAmAdEuS MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Hi all.
    I have couple of questions using this tool.
    I would like to replace my dsdt table in AMI Aptio bios using this tool.

I am using gigabyte Z77X UD5H rev 1.0 and F15r bios as start.
    I extract my dsdt table from 9F3A0016-AE55-4288-829D-D22FD344C347_1_47.rom and then i modify it to my needs,file become a little smaller.
    Then using hexedit i paste this changes into 9F3A0016-AE55-4288-829D-D22FD344C347_1_47.rom and replace this new file when tool gives me this ability.
    After i flash this bios and bios like this have just black screen and never start.

Soo i need some guide how can this be done right way.:confused:
    EDIT:
    I dont need any kind of slic modifications.

9. DarkTherapy

DarkTherapy MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2013
    Hi, I'm trying to edit the whitelist within my Insyde F.47 bios for a HP 635 laptop. I understand the bios is encrypted and has an RSA signature. The Phoenix bios tool can decrypt and uncompress the bios, my question is, can I modify the whitelist then flash this new uncompressed unencrypted bios file to my bios chip, using a 3rd party software rather than the provided InsydeFlash? Would this get around the RSA signature as I'm sure bios software is not usually encrypted when written to the bios chip. I have semi-bricked my laptop in the past and I'm capable of fixing it if that should happen again. Thanks in advance for any advice.

10. branndonw

branndonw MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2011
    I'm trying to open a Dell XPS 730 Bios v1.0.6 with Phoenix Tool 2.18 and I keep getting this error:

"Failed to extract HDR file. (For old Dell BIOSes ensure you have set the memory sizes to 640/16384/16384 in File Right click -> Properties)"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

11. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    thanks Tito, but that's the problem, the bios region is flashlocked.
    So, no way to flash without a SPI programmer in this case?

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Wait a second; then how can the official flasher flash the bios??

16. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
  17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009