How will Microsoft deploy future Windows 10 installers?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by aCROX999, Jul 30, 2015.

1. aCROX999

aCROX999 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    Will there be refreshed ISOs with the latest updates or are they just going to stick with the current ISO and have users install updates as usual?

I suppose the latter would be a somewhat annoying when you're going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new PC with WAAS as there will surely be a lot of updates. The former option would allow huge bandwidth savings for those who can't afford to keep downloading for an extended amount. As for the latter, users might need to download even more than a standard Windows ISO would be with the latest updates. I suppose we won't have any more Service Packs either now to make them simpler.

tl;dr; Are we going to see rolling release Linux distros-like refreshed installation media (every month or so)? Or will they stick to the same installer from day 1?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Several sources stated today that there could be an updated build soon, but info is diffuse and MS is still tight on info in general.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I would hope they refresh the ISO's regularly or at least a couple times a year. If they plan to add and update like they mention, the whole DLing from WU is going to suck big time.

Ill pray for refreshed iso's regularly

4. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    They most likely will have refreshed ISOs with every major Service Update.
    Windows 8.1 had an ISO, and then Windows 8.1 with Update 1 had a new ISO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I will instead pray for not getting hundreds of MBs of updates daily with no clear download links.

6. aCROX999

aCROX999 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    Ah, that makes sense since this is all still new. I hope they tell us or at least state in the download pages the build number or its build date if they do.

Indeed, and for someone that have not really the best Internet in the world, it would be a huge bummer.

I thought of that too, as I heard that Microsoft may be pushing a major Service Release update soon. So perhaps it's like a a collection of patches or something.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Just used this post as feedback. Keep ISO's updated on site with all updates.

8. aCROX999

aCROX999 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    I hope they'll listen, because this is quite of a big deal to those with slow Internet like me.

9. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Well, we've been getting torrents of various versions of Windows with all the updates upto that date, so I expect that will continue. E.g. Windows 10 all updates July 2016. That kind of thing.