[HowTo] W10 RS2 15063 RTM - Disable UAC but still allowing all Metro apps to start...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moderate, Mar 24, 2017.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 moderate, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    That's pretty neat actually! Never really understood the purpose behind locking the metro apps behind that - probably something about sandboxing?

Is there a reason someone would want to disable UAC though? It's a good warning for privilege escalation for power users IMO, but useless for standard users since they just click "yes" anyways.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    It is terrible slow-down and bogus. Specially in the middle of CMD work, when some programs will tells you "Not enough rights, close CMD and run it again."
    For me PC with UAC is almost un-usable.

4. GTK48

GTK48 MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2009
    If you use Classic Shell they all will open.

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    For years I turned UAC off, then after I had problems with modern apps in Windows 8.1, I started just turning it to the lowest setting. No annoying pop-ups and everything runs fine. Is there any advantage to turning off UAC as opposed to just turning it to the lowest setting?
    Uac.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    It emulates Linux; Microsoft is big into "emulations" if it makes Windows seem more secure. "Security by delay" seems to be their position.

7. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Yep, with UAC killed by registry the processes have HIGH integrity, while with lowest slider setting they still have MEDIUM integrity.
    BTW: Slider still behaves like in W8-0-0 and higher, but who cares. :))

8. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    hmmm, gksudo...
    ...but in Linux it actually works...

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]In Linux you can't easily turn it off as with Windows. But the process of requiring permission every time you want to make a "dangerous” change is precisely the same concept. And after a short period of time, it becomes a thoughtless operation on both OSes. [/FONT]

10. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    It is user dependant. It is like in the car: somebody isn't dangerous even riding 90 km/h in a town and somebody is dangerous even driving 40 km/h on forest road.

For me (constantly digging in th OS) the things like UAC is complete dissaster. Thing from same pot is so called "Lock Screen"... completelly redundant slowdown.

11. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    @moderate: I ran the patch and everything is good. Universal apps are still working. Can you tell me what you mean by medium integrity vs. high integrity? (I know what integrity means, but what does it mean specifically for Windows?)

12. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Windows process (for example iexplorer.exe) can be runned at these predefined levels of rights (called integrity levels):

from lowest to highest:

1. Untrusted (Chrome tabs for example)
    2. AppContainer (Metro apps)
    3. Low (Chrome frame for example)
    4. Medium (UAC non-elevated process)
    5. High (elevated process or non-UC process)
    6. System (System Services for example)
    7. Trusted Installer (Add/Remove Windows Features)

If I run iexplore.exe as high, it is allowed to do more things to OS than running it as medium. (For example Untrusted level doesn't have access to C:\ root, so such process can't save file there etc.)

You can display process level by Process Explorer from MS-Sysinternals. (Just add column "Integrity Level" to displayed columns in menu \View\Select Columns.)

13. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I see. Thanks!

14. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Maybe in the next Release, they will change Control Panel's slider back to W7's behavior. :)

15. gururoop

gururoop MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Disabling UAC in Administrator login allowed me to run Windows Defender. I am relieved that I don't have to install another antivirus as I use Administrator account by default and the new Metro UI of Defender was unusable as Administrator.

16. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Nice change. Very welcome.

17. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    UAC = annoying and restrictive
    Apps = annoying and restrictive and more buggy than "normal apps"

does the store still download slower than steam?

bet you still can't backup games and apps can you? i got annoyed that you couldn't backup a 50gb game from the store....noo you have to re-download the whole thing, because of all the lame encryption stuff on the files and folders. can't even locate existing files like steam

when you can backup games and apps like you can with normal apps and games, the platform will be decent, at the moement it's as pants as it was at the beginning, it's just got more rubbish games and apps on it.

halo 5 forge turned out to be piece of garbage on pc.

standard software ftw!

18. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Yep, new Metro Defender is needed to disable system Smart-Screen filter (in RS2), so it is vital, that it can be runned now without any issue.

Don't worry. I will never replace Win32 as MS hoped.