HP Compaq nc6000 HDD related issues(Help Needed)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gabris[LT], Aug 1, 2011.

1. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Hello,
    So, I have an old HP Compaq nc6000 machine, month ago my HDD died due to bad sectors(HDD wasn't changed from factory before), I've changed it to Fujitsu 40GB Drive, installed XP, and started encountering strange problem, Windows loses system files(on almost every bootup), tried to reinstall windows 5 times, Windows is Genuine(from OEM sticker) XP Professional SP3. Tried to launch chkdsk /r from recovery console, it doing something on 4th and 5th stages, starting from ~60%, and says that there were errors on the volume. I have tried to do a low level format using Fujitsu utility, no bad sectors found, tried to scan with HDD Regenerator, no bad sectors found, ever ran memtest, everything is fine and even flashed BIOS it already was F.15(newest one), did that from windows. Checked SMART, only "power on hours count" is below its limits. As far as I understood, I'm encountering NTFS file journal erros(because HDD wasn't shut down properly) but I don't understand if its Windows/BIOS or hardware related issue, and I need solution(change the HDD isn't the best one, because it seems to be ok).And I almost forgot, sometimes it even doesn't see my MBR, but after chkdsk command finishes, MBR seems to be fine, but always after checkdisk I'm doing fixmbr. :biggrin:
    Thanks in advance, Gabriel. :eek:

2. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Did you do a low level format of the whole drive or just do a quick format before installing?

Are you installing from an original Microsoft XP installation disk or a copy?

The 2 things I mentioned about will cause a bad installation.

Do a full format and have a good copy of XP.

3. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #3 gabris[LT], Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    (OP)
    I have done full low level format and full hard level format(with partitioning), Windows installiaton CD I'm using is downloaded from torrent, ISO image, untouched. And it's OEM not VLK.

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    what type o hard drive is it, IDE or Sata (Raid) - Did you inject the sata/raid drivers??

5. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    40GB - IDE, FUJITSU MHT2040AH, I have installed intel chipset drivers.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok thats good then, have you run a motherboard diag check, maybe an issue with the onbord controller

7. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #7 gabris[LT], Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    (OP)
    No, I haven't done that. Where can I find this motherboard diag check? :confused:
    P.S. I have hirens boot cd v13.0. :biggrin:

Update: Thanks for help, found on hp site, now waiting while checkdisk finishes to run program.

Update2: tested, all went fine, no errors. But before that, I needed to do windows repair, because system failed to start because of registry erros in system configuration.(windows\system32\config\system)

Update3: Installing Mandriva, to check if system won't boot up in a week or so, if it will boot then the problem is in windows or NTFS :)

8. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    linux got the problem! :cool:
    But now the problem is, I don't understand what it means :D

9. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    Bought new mobo today for 10 bucks, seems to work fine. but it has oldest BIOS :D well, mobo that I bought had max1987 problem, but after half an hour it's born for its second life. :) checked with 3HDD's I still was encountering file system problems, now I can say where the problem was:

1. 2 seconds before turn-off: hard disk stoping, heads are going to parking position.

2. 1 second before turn-off: hard disk spin's up, heads are going off the parking position.(and then suddenly power off)
    Problem: Defective(old) HDD controller, or in other words north bridge.

Still don't know about new mobo, if there will be no updates, it means that everything is running fine.

Thanks for help everyone! :)