HP DV2412CA laptop issues - LED lights on, but black screen (and other issues)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by simon726, Oct 18, 2014.

1. simon726

simon726 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have an HP DV2412CA laptop and if I remembered a while back (sometime around June of this year - 2014), I used to bring that laptop back into life - but the problems had persisted over time. This laptop was running the Windows Vista Home Premium operating system.To make matters worse, the laptop hasn't been on for almost 4 months until I turned it back on to figure out the wireless connection problem that happened recently.

However, the problem went for the worse. I've tried replacing the built-in wireless connection card because the one that was installed was thought to be broken (this was evident whenever I turned the system on during normal operation).

After I had replaced the card, I've attempted to turn the laptop back on - but the screen was blank (however, the LED lights were still on). I also heard two short beeps on the laptop's POST (although the beeping sounds wasn't played on the speakers - only when I hear it through putting my ear on the laptop). I also witnessed that the laptop's cooling fan went running for about 1 to 2 seconds, but it stops running.

I've tried re-seating the memory along with taking off the hard drive (and putting it back on) off of the laptop - but the problems still persisted. I also tried taking out the battery as well. The result was the same.

Based on my findings, I believe that either the integrated graphics were to blame (as one of you folks had suggested/ruled out for me). However, another theory may had existed for me - based on those two short beeps I had audibly heard, I believe that a hardware defect may arise.

I wonder if you folks have this particular laptop and from the information I had witnessed, there was a "class action lawsuit" concerning laptops with defective graphics chips - notably the integrated Nvidia GPUs (Graphics Processing Units).

What can you suggest me at this point for my case?