HP DV6-3064ca BIOS modding difficulties

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Gadorach, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Gadorach

Gadorach MDL Novice

May 19, 2011
    #1 Gadorach, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Gadorach

Gadorach MDL Novice

May 19, 2011
    CMOS reset will not work, as variables are stored in non-volatile memory it seems. Here's the exact order for switching from dGPU to iGPU in button combinations to recover the display:

!!!!!!NOTE!!!!!!
    DO NOT attempt to do a BIOS recovery with the original BIOS. You will lose the advanced menu access, and the laptop will be permanently crippled to only being able to boot from the dGPU with the MUX locked to the iGPU. You will never get your display mode back. Keep the hacked BIOS in order to use the next steps for recovery.

[ESC] (multple times at boot, best to keep pressing it rapidly for a good 10-15s to be sure)
    [F10]
    --Wait 5 seconds
    [Up Arrow] (If there's a BEEP, you're on the right track)
    [ESC]
    [Right Arrow]
    [Right Arrow]
    [Down Arrow]
    [Down Arrow]
    [Down Arrow]
    [Down Arrow]
    [Enter]
    [Enter]
    [Up Arrow] (If you set it as dGPU, else, [Down Arrow] if you set it to Auto)
    [Enter]
    [ESC]
    [Right Arrow]
    [Right Arrow]
    [Enter]
    [Enter]

The laptop should reboot at this point, or hang. If it hangs, just hold the power button until it turns off, then turn it back on. The iGPU should recover the display and everything should be working again at this point.

3. Gadorach

Gadorach MDL Novice

May 19, 2011
  4. AMDMan64

AMDMan64 MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2022
    Thanks for posting this. I got very excited when I saw someone had already modded this BIOS to have the advanced menu.

I have a dv6z-3200 with a failing dGPU. I was hoping that turning on the Advanced menu might let me disable it totally, but I'm not seeing any option to do that.

Basically, the system boots fine, but then when I reboot it, I get a flashing Caps Lock with 5 blinks and I have to unplug it and power cycle it. I'm assuming it's due to that dGPU. The reason I think it's the dGPU is it will go to a yellow exclamation point in device manager after it causes the boot failures.

Any suggestions? I've tried some advanced settings but can't seem to find any combinations that work. It's a shame because the laptop works great until I reboot it - then it always freezes on the bootup screen and I have to pull the power cord, power cycle it and then boot it up again.