HP dv6636nr NO VIDEO AT ALL!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mfrey0118, Feb 12, 2011.

1. mfrey0118

mfrey0118 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    #1 mfrey0118, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    Ok I accidentally broke my wife's laptop when I updated the nVidia drivers and then flashed the BIOS (F33 from hp.com) without restarting in between...BIG MISTAKE!!

OK so now I have NO VIDEO at all! No BIOS startup screen, no windows...nothing. I can't see a darn thing. Laptop boots up and lights and fan come on but nothing else.

This actually happened to me last year (you'd think I'd learn!), and I ended up having to get the motherboard replaced when I tried to re-solder the CMOS battery housing back to the board and I used too much solder and it burned through the silicon.

Been looking around online and I saw some BIOS flash threads but so far all I've tried is extracting the F33 BIOS update to a USB drive and pressing windows + B and it beeps loudly but nothing changes...

Is there any way to fix this?

Mark

HP Pavilion dv6636nr
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    AMD athalon x64 dual core processor
    nVideo GeForce 7500m/nForce 630m chipset
    3 GB RAM
    Pheonix BIOS

2. mfrey0118

mfrey0118 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    Ok that's a bit beyond what I am willing to do. The board is fine, it's just the BIOS and nVidia files got scrambled.

I guess I need to be more specific:

I am looking for a way to re-flash the BIOS and/or GPU with NO VIDEO displayed on the computer.

3. bapski

bapski MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    same symptoms as my friends board. and unfortunately, if we do have the same line of laptop, its a known issue in regards to the NVIDIA chips on this kind of board.

sorry can't think of anything else but the REFLOW... good luck mate.

4. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hello m8
    Have you tried connecting an external screen so you can at least see whats going on? ( FN + F4 i think switches to external )
    The other guys maybe right in respect of the nvidia chip as it is a well known fault, but if you get a display externally then
    you can go from there.......maybe reflash the bios and try and undo the damage.
    Also, the fact that you have no display after flashing the bios may be coincidence......tilt the screen, get it into the light etc,
    if you can see very faint writing etc then suspect the inverter.

Good luck

5. mfrey0118

mfrey0118 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    The thing that makes me suspect it's a software/driver issue is because it happened the exact same way before to me. I updated the BIOS, then updated the nVidia drivers without restarting in between and when I booted up...no video.

So how can it be hardware issue if it happened twice the exact same way? Tried to connect it to my other laptop and I hit fn + f4 and nothing...using s video should I try vga?