HP dv9000 fan algorithm mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ssnickl, May 31, 2010.

1. ssnickl

ssnickl MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    I've been searching for sometime now, and I see that a lot of people are having problems with the fan running at full bore 24/7. Does anyone know how to mod the bios to allow 3rd party fan control, or at least add a setting in bios for regular duty cycle?

I have a dv9000CTO Entertainment PC (AMD Based)

I can provide more specs if needed.

2. doc

doc MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    do the bios update

I own a hp dv 9790eb. If you motherboard is the same type, then it's a combination of two things. A problem with the nvidia vga chipset (if present) and the motherboard itself.

I did a bios update (downloaded from the support pages of hp) and the most recent nvidia drivers.

Now (since 2009) it seems to be functionning normally.

3. bjohnson555

bjohnson555 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2010
    #3 bjohnson555, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Also need a fan algorithm for DV9000t Quanta 30BD

I've been looking for a similar fan algorithm solution for my DV9000t Quanta 30BD mobo(Intel based). After 3 year the Nvidia chip finally overheated. I was able to reflow the chip with a pen torch. I also mod’ed the case for improved airflow. I’m was running the F.29 BIOS and now run the F.2D Bios which neither kicks in the fan until somewhere above 75C so I figured out a hardware fix by disconnecting the yellow and white fan wires which causes the fan to run at full speed so it wouldn't overheat again. GPU temperatures now range from 44C - 54C.
    But what I'd really like to change is the fan algorithm so the fan kicks in sooner like around 55C. I’ve read that the F.2D and F.2E BIOS works for this computer and would run the fan faster than the F.29 BIOS but after loading it they don't change anything as far as the fan is concerned.
    Updated 5/28/2010
    I found a way to control my fan through the ACPI DSDT table so I no longer have to run it at full speed. I learned how at the site called "How to Reduce Fan Noise on HP Notebooks" (notebookequus.blogspot.com/2008/09/patching-dsdt-table.html). I would give you the link but this site forbids it. After decompiling the ACPI DSDT I found the ThermalZone(THR1) that controls the CPU temperature. I changed the _TMP method by increasing the reported temperature amount by 32 C. I also had to fix the decompiled code to use ToUUID("33DB4D5B-1FF7-401C-9657-7441C03DD766") so it would compile again. Now the fan speed increases like it should when I play games and keeps the GPU at a reasonable 56 C. You can read about “How I Fixed My HP DV9000 Computer” (http:\\
    icodehead.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-i-fixed-my-hp-dv9000-computer_02.html#Section3.4.2) at my blog for more information.