HP dv9260nr notebook won't boot after bios upgrade

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Carolinaboy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    I have an HP dv9260nr notebook, MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS, 2 GHz Intel core 2 Duo processor T7200, 2048 MB DDR memory, and NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 video graphics. Several months ago after running HP Health Check, the system recommended upgrading the bios. I had no problems with the computer up to this point.

After the bios upgrade, the computer would not boot and would emit 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which indicates a problem with the video graphics. The computer was out of warranty and the only help I could get from HP was to send the compter in for repair.

I've spent as much time as possible trying to research and learn as much on how to return the bios to its original condition. Since my computer will not boot, I'm unable to determine what bios I have without opening up the computer and looking at the motherboard. But, I've learned the bios is not always identified on many motherboards.

I received some advice on the HP Consumer Forum identifying the bios for the dv9260nr as being a Phoenix bios and instructions on how to flash the bios with the crisis recovery disk. I followed the instructions to the letter but still had the original problem. However, there were some who posted their attempt was successful.

What's confusing to me is their seems to be a Phoenix bios, Award bios, and a Phoenix Award bios. The error beeps of 1 long and 2 short are definitely the Award codes so I'm guessing I have a Phoenix Award bios.

What I'm looking for (if possible) is which procedure to use to flash the bios (Phoenix or Award) since each appears to be different. Also, is it possible that the video driver was corrupted and can it be reinstalled during the bios flash process? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I would like to determine if I have a chance to bring my computer back to life of if the motherboard is toast.