HP DV9820us bad flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by slickster81, Dec 17, 2012.

1. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Hello,

Long story short, I mistakenly flashed this system (AMD processor) with the BIOS from my other DV9000 (Intel processor) and of course, bad things have happened. :eek:

Everything looked fine during the flash, but on reboot, black screen, no apparent HDD activity etc....

I've read this entire section, all posts, and tried numerous recovery procedures with one exception. I do not have a USB floppy disk drive, so did not attempt that avenue yet. Reason?

I've tried USB recovery, and when I plug in AC adapter, holding WIN+B keys and power up, I only get a very brief and dim flash of the backlight on the display. The USB drive never lights up, nothing, nada, zip.....

So I did not attempt USB floppy since I will have to find and purchase one. BUT, if anyone out there has had this same experience and recovered using the floppy, then I will of course go get one.

To recap, I have used Wincrisis, built a USB recovery drive. AC disconnected, plug drive in, hold WIN+B keys, plug in AC, press and hold power button. NO activity on USB key at all.

Any and all help will be most appreciated, I was planning on giving this laptop to the wife as part of Christmas, money's very tight and a used lapper was the best I could swing right now for her.

Thanks to all, and Happy Holidays to you all in advance. :band:

2. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Oops! I think I may have posted this in the wrong section!!!!! I thought I was in the Recovery section.

Moderator(s) can you please move this to the appropriate section? I need help really bad!!!!!

Thank you.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think i have access to a bios chip for it.
    and it is AMD so it likely has issues with the chipset nvidia solder balling.
    HP Pavilion dv9820us Laptop Turion64 X2 TL-62
    sounds like someone put an intel board in amd model case.

by memory slots: stickers say part number ?

how were u able to flash wrong cpu mobo bios if it usualy blocks it due to MOBO ID number ?

4. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi LatinMcG,
    To answer the last question first, I have no clue.....flash went just fine, AND I got the BIOS off the HP Website, but I may be mistaken regarding it being for the Intel....that was the only thing I could think of, and the flash program (SWinFlash) did ask me right before write if I wanted to replace older BIOS with newer, and the naming was different for the two. I should have stopped right then and confirmed everything was correct, but it was late, and I was tired....lesson learned.

I re-flowed the video chip, and everything was working perfectly on this system (left it up and running continuously for 3 days/nights) until I tried to flash a custom BIOS with SLIC 2.1
    The mobo part number is 459566-001 and it is the AMD Turion64 X2 TL-62 processor.

From your post I am guessing the external USB floppy would be fruitless?
    [h=2][/h]

5. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Can you upload the exact BIOS you flashed?

If it was working perfectly before the BIOS flash, I don't know why anyone would think it wasn't working because of a hardware problem.

6. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    #6 slickster81, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    (OP)
    Unfortunately the modified BIOS file is on the affected laptop, and I just tried to upload the base (virgin) BIOS file and it is 611 bytes even when zipped.

I used the BIOS from HP for that machine and compiled the modded BIOS using the Phoenix tool. Did all the work on the actual laptop to be modded, so all my source files etc...are there. All the files came from MDL....same ones I have used in the past.

I've made a few modded BIOS' for different machines, so that was all pretty pedestrian for me. Like I said, everything went smoothly right until the reboot to black screen. Frustrating...and the only thing I could think of was I flashed the wrong modded BIOS, the one for the Intel bases DV9000...but as has been pointed out, that is highly unlikely due to the extreme hardware mismatch.

As to suspecting a hardware issue I would say it was valid since I didn't specify in my first post the machine was functioning after the GPU reflow and the HP DV series had issues with the Nvidia GPU that exactly mimic this behavior.

Thanks, I hope someone can help me out of this jam!

7. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    So I am screwed it sounds like? No way to recover from this issue?
    You mention programming, would getting a EN25T80 and a test clip be a step in the right direction, or would I be opening a whole new can of worms?
    You mentioned you may have access to a BIOS chip for this machine. How difficult is the swap? Any caveats or issues resulting from installing a new chip? I know it is a darn small chip and soldered to the mobo, and I can solder pretty well.

Thanks again.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #9 LatinMcG, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    tweezers and a heat source .. done
    sometimes the recovery works with different versions of bios.

USB (not floppy) should work.
    use the B file 30CFF2CB.WPH make crisdisk

9. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Well, that sounds good!
    Lemme make sure I have the procedure correct too.
    Use B file 30CFF2CB.WPH (rename to BIOS.WPH) and make crisisdisk on my USB drive. It's a 32Gb drive...does size make a difference? :eek:
    No battery in laptop
    AC adapter unplugged from laptop
    Insert USB stick in (any???) USB port
    Hold WIN+B keys simultaneously
    Plug AC adapter in
    Press power button, continue holding WIN+B keys

At this point, how long do I hold those keys? In previous attempts I've held 10, 20, 30 seconds, and even a couple minutes. I never see any activity on the USB drive at all....never a blip of the led indicator light.

Worst case, you say just hold the BIOS chip with tweezers, heat the pins and off she comes? Replacement of course is the reverse. Do these BIOS chips have the mobo ID "tattooed" on them or does that not matter (other than for factory recovery CD's)

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just anxious about getting this done before Christmas if I can.

10. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Hmmmm, I just looked at the BIOS file I downloaded from HP. It was extracted from sp52477.exe
    WPH files are: 30CFF34A.WPH and 30CFF34B.WPH

No other BIOS files on HP site for that system, odd since they usually have archived versions available.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i saw them
    2011-03-30 , Version:F.34, 3.09M (‏Previous versions available)‏

F.22 ›11-20073.09M

12. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    That's what happens when you get old....(51)

Found it, downloaded it, extracted it and when I get home will build a crisdisk with it.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

13. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Well, I tried the CRISDISK several times. Tried in all 3 USB ports on the machine, but the drive never lights up at all, even left the drive in for a few hours, still no joy. Is it odd that I couldn't see any files on the USB drive after creating the CRISDISK? I used the crisdisk.exe file and did the make minidos disk, watched the dialog box state it was copying files and got the message disk was successfully created.

Christmas is only a few days away, and I know, barring a miracle, my wife won't be getting her laptop.

I am desperate for some suggestions, even if it is to look for a new motherboard (though based on my current finances, that means a couple months at the least)

Thanks again for the assistance, and a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all.

John

14. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
  15. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    #16 slickster81, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    (OP)
    I will give the A file a go, and if that tanks on me.....usb floppy it is!

Can you shed some light (pun intended) as to why I don't see even a tell tale flash from the USB stick when I insert it and power up? I am wondering why no apparent power to the USB ports. I don't want to waste money on a floppy drive if it will be of no use due to the ports lacking power because of the bad flash.

Thanks, will try this and post back.

John

P.S. Why do I not see any files on my CRISDISK USB stick after creation? I have my views set to see system files, hidden files etc....again, very curious.

16. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Okay, let me know what happens with that :)

Honestly, I don't know how to answer that question. In the past, I've recovered BIOSes that showed no activity whatsoever on any USB drives, but responded immediately to a USB floppy drive.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  18. slickster81

slickster81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2011
    Well...no joy with the USB drive approach so I bit the bullet and ordered a USB floppy drive. Now I gotta dig thru the boxes of old computer stuff and scrounge me up a floppy! I won't say I haven't seen one in ages, but ages ago, when I worked with HP Mainframes in the 80's, we used 8" floppies!!! (and reel to reel tapes for data backups)

Thanks again for all the assistance. As soon as the drive arrives I will build a disk (CRISDISK?????) and have another go at reviving that lapper.