HP EliteBook **70 Series BIOS Password Reset [Util Test]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Mazzif, Sep 12, 2014.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    get cheap ch341a programmer and make backup.bin of the chip and i can clear it.
    after clear then flash back and done.

2. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I am 68 years old, shaky hands and eyesight that isn't so good. Totally unfamiliar with what you suggest and would probably dork something up. Appreciate the offer though.

3. med1vh

med1vh MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2019
    Howdy Mazzif,
    I have read your topic and expalnations. Congratulations for the hard work. My case is a bit different. To be honest, I have a HP EliteBook 8470p device which is BIOS password protected. Unfortunately the device is also set to boot only in UEFI mode. Nevertheless, I have installed a DOSBox and entered the serial number, and the UUID of the current device in your application, generated all the necessary files, executed the shotgun*.* and all*.* but it appears the specific model is not supported. I have read about a few software platforms that could edit the SMC.BIN files and tried 2 of them, alas with no success. Where should I start from to gather a better understanding of all this? And if I may ask, what fields contain the SMC.BIN?

4. p0wder

p0wder MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2019
    Hey Mazzif,
    I used your DOS tool to successfully reset the BIOS p/w on an EliteBook 6930p. (Thanks!)
    Now I need to do the same for a 8470p model. Do you have any suggestions?
    Any help would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    -Powder

5. Zeland

Zeland MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2019
    Hello. I need help in unlocking the HP 8470p.
    UUID: 4AE2CBB90B75E31182D0D9E2C80340F5
    SN: CNU333BF05
    Thank you.

6. Atreyu531

Atreyu531 MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2019
    Hola p0wder,
    has podido averiguar algo sobre esto?
    Gracias

7. oasismaker

oasismaker MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2019
    Hi, Mazzif.
    Mine is 8570w.
    I tried your tool's shotgun menu and failed.
    So contatcted HP service center to get smc.bin file but they don't provide it any more.
    Is there any ways to get smc.bin file or generate it? I read your post using hardwares to reset bios password but it is beyond my ability.

Serial number: 5CB33102DB
    Product number:B2G21EC
    UUID: B18AB585-FB2C-11E2-9B02-31B35C000011

Thank you.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    to find out what type board you have. in the bios dump at end of it in hexeditor it shows.

a buscar el modelo de placa. en el backup.bin dump en el fin con HxD editor.. la ultima linea

9. Atreyu531

Atreyu531 MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2019
    Thanks, Gracias!!!

10. Andr3wJ

Andr3wJ MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2016
    Mazzif thank you for all the information. I successfully opened an HP 840 G1. I used Hirens Boot PE x64 iso, which was written by RUFUS to USB. NbDmiFit-2.0A.zip linked to the forum was able to enter the correct data.
    I used a CH341A programmer.
    840 G1 padding file 262,072 byte long
    But anyone can look for the exact size if they look at the version of the BIOS and download the same version from the HP site. When running this exe, you can compress the BIOS bin to a specified location. You can then extract the BIOS with the Phoenix BIOS tool. creates a DUMP directory to find a file that starts with VSS content (PADDING_XXXX.ROM), has the exact PADING size and factory content.
    I wrote this content into a backup from the laptop, of course, saved in another file.

At first launch, "Manufacturing Mode 1 of 10"
    Win10 PE Startup
    In Windmifit64, entering data, not commited error massage, and accidentally the USB also slipped
    I restarted and then some BIOS error that he wanted to fix, I chose an OK
    It was restarted and everything was good

I'll make another 840 G1 tomorrow, we'll see what's going to happen.
    And then an 8470.

sorry for my bad English ...

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    with UEFITool you can see sizes and address.
    the download from hp usually is the bios region.. it has a blank vss.

12. Andr3wJ

Andr3wJ MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks, I haven't used this program yet. I just used Phoenix because I tried to "reverse engineering"
    the bios how SMC bin works. Of course with this brain that I have, it won't go: D
    I was too lazy at work to compare the BIOS that was closed and opened with SMC.

Yes, I know that the VSS downloaded from the HP side is empty, this and the laptop and an open one can be compared.

Of course I see that others are ahead of it, but now I have to deal with laptops again a bit. Reading and sometimes I try to figure things out myself.

13. krykot

krykot MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2019
    #315 krykot, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    I have a problem with reading the bios using raspberry pi 3. After attaching the clip and entering the command: "flashrom -p linux_spi:Dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=3000",
    it detects me W25Q128.V. But after entering the command again, he shows me:
    No EEPROM/flash device found...

It works only for a while during the first connection.

Is it normal that pin 24 (red) has a 3.3 V voltage?

With other laptop models there is no problem.

#EDIT

when I desoldered the EC, communication between raspberry and main returned. And everything works.

Did you know what can I do, to not desolder ec?

14. emmanuel orieh

emmanuel orieh MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2019
    hi i have hp elitebook 8470w and i want to unlock mpm but everything i try seems not to work
    any help would be much appreciated

oriehdad@hotmail.com

15. A13xxx

A13xxx MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2019
    Hi i need your help
    I have Hp EliteBook 8570P
    UUID:A44608E774AAE311BC7E42A0E5020036
    SN:5CB4084VLS
    with password to bios
    I ask for help in resetting the password
    E-mail: kis.alexandr@gmail.com

Thank

16. tdslaine

tdslaine MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2015
    #319 tdslaine, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Hi Mazzif,

long time no pw/bios flashing needed. Now im back at it again. I cant find the copy of your clean VSS pad file anywhere. Could you provide me a link to it?

Edit: Found me a clean vss copy - another question from your initial Post:

"My current workaround is to use the 'layouts' feature with flashrom and only write to the area contained in the VSS_store. This will leave everything in the Descriptor, GbE and ME regions intact.

Also note: As far as I know, there is no way to retrieve the original MAC...."

Could you kindly provide more information about that MAC-Issue? or could you post the flashrom paramater needed for that specific flashing-method (area etc)

Thx in advance

17. med1vh

med1vh MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2019