HP EliteBook **70 Series BIOS Password Reset [Util Test]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Mazzif, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    All of the chips I have done thus far have been 3.3v. I haven't needed to adjust anything with the VCC (yet), but I also haven't done the 9470m. Share your photos and data!

And getting a good read/write for for has been dependent on using the Pomona brand SOIC clips. Others were super spotty and inconsistent. The Pomona clips seems to be spot on every time.

-Cheers

2. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    I can confirm I was able to remove the BIOS password from a 9740m Ultrabook. I pulled the BIOS and saved to file. Using HxD and my pad file data to blank out the $VSS store area of the BIOS file, I saved the new BIOS and flashed it back. As expected, once powered on, the message of missing system data apeared, so I booted to WinPE and restored the data using windmifit without further issue.

3. callaretzu

callaretzu MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2017
    Hi, Mazzif,

I need to remove the BIOS password for a HP EliteBook 840 G4. Is it possible to achieve this following the method you've described in post #29?

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to get this thing done :(

I would appreciate your help on this, if possible.

Thank you!

4. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    The G1 and G2 were able to be, Id imagine the G4 (and G3) would be also. Get a Raspberry Pi and some wire kit and build out a flasher as I have described. At worst, you'll have fun with the project and be out a few $$. At best, you'll recover your laptop.

If I come across a G4, Ill be sure to post the details.

5. sxoddddkj

sxoddddkj MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2017
    Hi mazzif,
    Is it possible to have the HPBR-WIN32.iso with the model hp elitebook 2570p?

6. callaretzu

callaretzu MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2017
    I have already purchased the following: Raspberry Pi 3 + Pomona test clip (model 5250 - SOIC-8) + m-m breadboard wires. But I made a mistake: I didn't pay attention to my BIOS chip package type and I recently discovered that it's a not a SOIC-8 chip, but a WSON-8 one (see the image attached).

So I'm stuck again... and I don't know what can I do next... :(

Attached Files:

7. Alpos

Alpos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2017
    Hy Mazzif, how can i reset the UUID to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ? I got a BIN from the internet to my 2570p , writed to the flash succesfully with raspberry, - no password , everything is ok, BUT i can't change the serial with windmifit . MPM is not unlocked...

8. poloko

poloko MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2017
  9. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Not possible.

10. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Use my padding file and write over the $VSS store area in your BIOS, save it and then flash that BIOS.

11. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013

I hit one of these packages recently as well. The WSON8 really mucks things up. I dont have a solution to that other than physically removing the package and replacing it with a SOIC package. Im still looking though.

12. poloko

poloko MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2017
    hi mazzif
    can you restore the bios password of my
    HP elitebook 2570p
    UUID:8554F188C68AE21182F88C187F1990C4
    S/N:CNU311CD9C
    email: coseguel@gmail.com
    thank's

13. poloko

poloko MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2017
    Mazzif...i don't remember the password of the bios and i need change setup of video for use virtual machine to program in android studio app's. now i contact the hp support but, they has send me SMC.BIN but not restore the password...only they say me that i can replace the mother board ;). this is a good notebook suport 16 gb of ram memory. The answer i will can restore the bios password??? to modify the vt-x for the extra video features in the bios setup system???
    so thank's
    Poloko

14. Alpos

Alpos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2017
    #54 Alpos, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Where can i found this file ? It's universal file or laptop specific ? Or can i get from a clean bios dump ? It's start with VSS , but what is ist length ?

15. CFSACO_HP

CFSACO_HP MDL Novice

May 1, 2017
    Hi Mazzif,

I've been following your guide in (OP)#29 but I keep getting errors when I run wndmifit from within Win10PE (I created an x86 version).

I'm curious what version of wndmifit you are using and where can I get it?

I've tried wndmifit from NbDmiFit-2.07 and NdDmiFit-2.09 which I found on the internet, but both produce errors.

Here are the errors I get:

Running wndmifit from within Win10PE:

BIOS Setting could not be read. BIOSConfigUtility.exe may be missing or invalid

Running wndmifit64 from within Win10PE:

This version of X:\windows\wndmifit\wndmifit64.exe is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your
    computer's system information and then contact the software publisher.

Any help would be great.

Thank you

16. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
  17. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    "BIOSConfigUtility.exe may be missing or invalid"
    Is BIOSConfigUtility.exe in your wndmifit directory?

"This version of X:\windows\wndmifit\wndmifit64.exe is not compatible"
    Looks like your running a 64bit app in a 32bit build of WinPE

I built my Win10PE from 1Win10_1607_English_x64.iso (Codename Redstone?)
    Version 10.0.14393.0
    64bit

Im running NBDMIFIT v2.0A with wndmifit v1.0.1.4 (September 1st, 2015)

wndmifit.exe and wndmifit64.exe both work fine in this environment.

I dont believe I compiled with any additional drivers.

18. vicmark

vicmark MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2017
    For some reason wndmifit could not write the model number on a HP 8470p, so i ended up with another error on startup screen. Tomorrow i will unsolder the chip again ( i haven't any clips) and reflash it. Hopefuly it works this time. Again, Mazzif, you are the man!

19. adekunle

adekunle MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2017
    hi mazzif
    cam you help
    my hp 2170p is bios locked

20. adekunle

adekunle MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2017
    how can i resolve error 89 produced from using your system