HP EliteBook **70 Series BIOS Password Reset [Util Test]

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Mazzif, Sep 12, 2014.

1. DHeart

DHeart MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2018
  2. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Greetings. A 'clean' BIOS would be BIOS dump from a machine that has no password or other security features.
    I would imagine other boards are compatible, but I do not know their specifications, capabilities or pin-outs. My hope was to take a common platform and well document it, so it could be repeated. The help file for Flashrom (software Im using) is detailed and easy to read. I have included the commands needed for this operation. Of course there are others for other functions. No, comparing files will not producing any meaningful results. Yes there will be differences, but likely due to encryption Id guess, it's not readable.

Hope that clarifies.

3. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Dear Mazzif,

This is Alan. Actually i just copied you via private message but i think it is better to post here to get more attention as i am encountering the BIOS admins password login error on a pretty new HP laptop model: Elitebook 820 G3. I have searched this forum entirely and cannot find the same issue happen to this new model laptop. Appreciate you and also other bros. can give me a hand to solve it. Here is the essential machine's ID for your all reference:

UUID#: B2FDDDC6-0A45-11E7-9706-451CE402A029
    SN#: 5CG71141GN

Alan C.

4. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    one more thing to mention,... actually i have contacted HP in my local society but they asked me to present them original invoice or delivery note. Unfortunately, both are not available from me and so further assistance from HP is denied. That is why i come to you all guys here for solutions. Please help.

5. imranromi

imranromi MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2017
    You need bios bkup file use bios programmer.if have post file 16mb

6. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Hi Romi, i have not kept any backup BIOS files. What i have learned is to get a SMC.bin file to get my laptop recovered. Am i right?

7. imranromi

imranromi MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2017
    Is difficult to get SMC.bin. Mazzif friends maybe know about this.

8. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013

Alan,
    As I recall the G3 uses a WSON chip package instead of the SOIC. This does not bode well as there is nothing to physically attach to so my flashing process as described will not work. If it is in fact an SOIC, we can totally rock and roll. Yes HP can provide an SMC.bin file with the proper proof of purchase or whatever it is they ask for these days. My only success using the generic FSMC.bin file was been with laptops that i have flashed and put into Manufacturing Program Mode (MPM) and have a UUID of FF.

9. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Hi Mazzif, thanks for response. Do you think it is worth to try your generic FSMC.bin file on my laptop? Would you please send me the file? Thanks in advance. BTW, i also contacted pavarsim1 to solve this problem. He claims he is eligible to figure out the problem in return of payment cost.

10. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Thanks Romi. Apart seeking help from Mazzif, i also contacted another guy from this forum. He claims to be able to fix this issue at the cost of $$$. I will keep you updated if any progress.

11. imranromi

imranromi MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2017
    If you success read bios chip i will help free.

12. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Hi Romi, Would you please advise me how to read that bios chip file? I am curious about it. As my laptop is locked so i cannot access internally. For proceeding the method as Mazzif described by connection clamps, i am afraid i am not competent to do so. Another suggestion, please?

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    follow traces from WSON8 chip and solder thin wires to it.. then to programmer.

but ive desoldered macbook air 2014 wson8 chip and done on programmer.. had to grind away pads on adapter on middle so they would not short out with center ground under chip.
    or buy the wson8 adapter at proto-advantage.com

14. fredyfc

fredyfc MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    Did you think we can physically change this WSON package BIOS Chip?

15. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Yeah some people do. Chip is the same electronically. just different physical property.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usually there is a comparable model of the chip not wson.. last 3 digits or so change.

17. Av_

Av_ MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2017
  18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i dont have to use no mod on the voltage for ch341a and works fine for me

19. Clauro

Clauro MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2018
    Hi Mazzif,
    Please help on a 8470p, only HDD bootable, I'd like not to replace the Bios Chip, but using your famous DOS tool, if it is possible.
    Thanks in advance,

Clauro

20. blondejon

blondejon MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2018
    Well i find myself here with a password protected Admin user in the bios of my Probook 4740s. Weirdly I can access it as myself using biometric access but the bios is mostly locked down. This only happened when I upgraded to Win10 and the back to Win7, no password is accepted and HP support wont accept liability for a softyware glitch causing this. Is there any hoper for me here? if so what information do you need to see if a reset is possible?

Yours in hope blondejon