HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    dude.. make the 1966 file renamed to all of them 1963 196x and so all in same folder

the logo is nothing.. just showing u that the main folders arent called Hewlett-Packard rather HP... forget logo.
    if you are still using HPBiosupdate.sig .. you will never recover as thats UNRELATED to the actual .sig for the bin file.
    which is in BIOS\Current folder.

sux to have to RE EXPLAIN it all to someone who has no clue.

2. satyam171

satyam171 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    So,I have to replace my MOBO from lame HP..........Still my USB drive is not read..At first USB Drive blinks for a second and after that nothing..

3. astovl

astovl MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2014
    the same thing with... when i press the power i can hear only the cdrom, and the fan... two leds glowing F9 for sound and F10 for wifi... almost i follow recovering bios still no luck...

check here guys:
    http: // forums. mydigitallife .info/ threads/51515-NO-BIOs-just-BLACK-SCREEN

4. Allo

Allo MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JonRM

JonRM MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    Hello - I have the same issue as Allo. I am trying to create a usb boot key so I can get my hp g6-2123us laptop to boot up but having problems getting phoenixtool to open the .bin file I downloaded from the hp support site. I'm running Windows 7. Any help is appreciated! I don't know a lot about computers but I think I can complete this process once I get the phoenixtool to generate the files needed.

6. Ludonja

Ludonja MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    Thank you replicant very much.
    This worked but with minor difference. I copied two files in folders according step 6. but nothing happens. Then I copied files into USB root and finally success.
    Laptop is working again. :sailor:

7. satyam171

satyam171 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    Still not solved :(

So,I have to replace my MOBO from lame HP..........Still my USB drive is not read..At first USB Drive blinks for a second and after that nothing..

8. nickelsoot

nickelsoot MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2014
    Hi,
    I think that i bricked my HP Probook 4530s
    I messed with Clover UEFI boot loader (trying to install OS X) and laptop suddenly shut down, when i tried to power it on, i got black screen,
    fan running and continously blinking caps lock. So it is pretty dead right now...

UEFI boot was enabled in BIOS, while hard drive is in GPT format.

I tried to recover BIOS using HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment (SP62061) and run it
    It created directory structure on USB (formatted as FAT32), Hewlett-Packard\BIOS and so on, i downloaded official BIOS update from HP site (i tried three different version).
    Then i extracted BIOS update exe and renamed Rom.bin to 68SRR.bin. Also i renamed efibios.sig to 68SRR.sig and copied these two files
    to Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\{New, Current, Old} folders. I connected USB to dead laptop, pressed Win + B and power it on and nothing happened.
    I later disconnected hard drive and DVD drive so USB flash is only connected to laptop. This also don't work.
    Also, i tried copying bin files to root of USB drive, used SMC.bin instead of 68SRR and so on ...

Do I need to use phoenix tool on bin (68SRR.bin) file because when i run it, i don't get SIG and BIN file, i get only SLIC.LOG and DUMP folder with large number od ROM files and one subfolder with many BIOS files
    Also i saw on this thread, maybe i should use EFI/HP/BIOS method ?

Does anybody knows which procedure I should use to unbrick this particual Probook model (if it's achievable) ?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    did you have HP_TOOLS partition before u wiped it ? yes= old method. (check with find and mount or other partition recovery tools)
    and i think youre right about Rom.bin to 68SRR.bin. Also i renamed efibios.sig to 68SRR.sig.. but try the root of USB
    dont forget to reset cmos battery method.

the windows8 only laptops with no windows 7 board id are the new EFI\HP (the hidden 268MB first partition)

10. nickelsoot

nickelsoot MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks for answer!

I think that HP_TOOLS partition was present when i bought laptop, later i wiped whole hard disk and created new partition table then installed windows 7 in GPT mode
    I dont remember exactly, but i think that i already tried with 68SRR.bin in root of USB, but nothing happened, but i will try again with cleanly formated USB (FAT32)
    I will put 68SRR.bin and 68SRR.sig to the root of USB in addition to directory layout created by UEFI tool(Hewlett-Packard\*), and try that.
    Does it make sense to put SMC.bin (as a copy from 68SRR.bin) and SMC (as a copy from efibios.sig) also ? Because i have read on this thread that this filename is used as recovery image for this particular model?
    Note: I have tried all time to force BIOS recovery using Win + B keys pressed when powering laptop on, is this correct ?

If this dont's recover BIOS i suppose that i need to reflash BIOS chip using some programmer, so additional question is, can i use mentioned 68SRR.bin to reprogram BIOS chip ? Off course i wish i can avoid this
    reprogramming step (USB recovery is more prefered one)

11. binta017

binta017 MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    Brick dm4 3055dx

Hi,
    can you pls help me???
    I have dm4 3055dx, I was trying to downgrade bios when I bricked it up.
    I am doing all the steps from above but nothing is starting. Power light comes on for 1 to 2 sec and goes off.
    I tried different usb memories but nothing.

Bios for my laptop is SP60639.exe

after phoenix and after rename i am getting 01793.bin and 01793.sig.
    What do I need to do to start update (rollback)?
    Thank you.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    rename to the REV under battery .. so if your REV is 1794-110 or so.. name it 01794.bin and .sig
    create USB EFI from Diagnostics tool of the downloads. then make the proper folder Hewlett-Packard\Bios\Current also Previous and New
    put files in there.

13. j1m0t

j1m0t MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2014
    Oh mighty LatinMcG, I'm wondering if you might be able to help me with my HP woes? I'm a total noob to the witchcraft of the bios and have only found out what I know so far from mine corrupting and then reading lots of forums.

Model: HP Envy 17 Touchsmart m7-j078ca
    Product: e0k99ua#abl
    Rev:1996
    Win 8 64 bit
    Brand new in Dec 2013 - uses (U)EFI

In a nutshell:

• I've not done anything to the laptop eg wiped hard drive
    • Capslock light flashes twice meaning corrupt bios (from HP's own bios update - thanks guise).
    • HP's newest bios file for this model (sp65000.exe - it won't let me post a URL, sorry) gives me 01996.bin and 01996.s12 on a USB stick called HP_TOOLS.
    • I've tried running several different version of PhoenixTools (up to v2.50) on 01996.bin to get the .sig file out, but when I pass it the RW Everything report it says the report is invalid. It continues and creates 01966_SLIC.bin, but no .sig file.
    • In a HpBiosUpdate.log file on the USB stick that the bios updater made (sp65000.exe above) I found that it's looking for "EFI\HP\BIOS\New\01966.bin" and "EFI\HP\BIOS\New\01966.sig"
    • I've renamed the usb stick from HP_TOOLS to EFI and then the next folder from Hewlett-Packard to HP to mimic this filepath. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a .sig file yet...

In your almighty knowledge, what should I do?

Thanks very much for any help, it's much appreciated (you seem to know a lot more than the guys on the HP forums).

Cheers,
    Jimothy

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    EFi is a folder .. original with sig is in the 268 MB first partition of hdd .. in the EFI folder.
    i got it with diskpart assign letter and mount

try taking memory out and battery and power.. press power button for 40 seconds.

now put 1 ram and retry Win B held while inserting power and if it doesnt power up on own then press power still holding win B keys .. now it should read the HDD not the USB EFI folder... unless bios boot block is chewed.

15. JonRM

JonRM MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    Hello and thanks to all of you for your help! I bricked my HP g6-2123us laptop after a bios update recommended by HP. I was able to create the usb as Kallisti5 described and my computer brought up the bios recovery screen and everything appeared to work, however the computer still has a black screen and doesn't boot. I would appreciate any suggestions. :)

16. roti17

roti17 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2014
    Hi Kallisti5,
    I have to recover my BIOS of a HP 650 notebook. I read your instruction above and now I need the .sig and the .big file
    I downloaded the original BIOS from the HP homepage. It contains to ld.-files.
    I tried to convert these files with phoenix mod tool (with the other manual in this forum) but it didn't work. The mod tool starts working and always gives "Not Phoenix/Dell/Insyde/EFI Bios". I have no option to enter a manufactor.

What can I do?????

17. abbysmom

abbysmom MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2014
    hp g61 336nr corrupt bios