HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. metalsky

metalsky MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2018
  2. metalsky

metalsky MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2018
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    run the exe of sp8xxx usualy gives option create recovery usb.

4. metalsky

metalsky MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2018
    yes, but any spxxx.exe with older bios versions gives this option

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    download sp76913.exe and run it from any pc click next.. then it says "Create Recovery USB flash drive".
    (older than sp66xx bios usually dont have recovery create option)

make sure u take all power out and hold power button 30 secs to drain it..

then take 1 ram stick out. .sometimes thats all.
    or try a different brand usb... or the dreaded failing chip BGA reflow!

6. metalsky

metalsky MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks for your answer!

Problem is not in creating recovery usb, problem is impossibility downgrade bios version.

Recovery with USB flash drive created from current version BIOS through Win+B or EFI menu works good.
    Recovery with USB flash drive created from sp76913.exe through Win+B or EFI menu is not worked - Win+B - CAPS LOCK flashing twice and next nothing, recovery from EFI menu - "Unable to open BIOS signature file"

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    create usb with new.. then try replacing the files .. likely wont downgrade due to limitations

8. ninjaman666

ninjaman666 MDL Novice

May 21, 2018
    #548 ninjaman666, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Dear LatinMcG,
    I need your holy advice on my issue. I have an HP DV6t-6100 CTO laptop which was running smoothy in dual boot windows10/OSX13 with Donavon modded BIOS, and I believe it was booting in EFI mode before my mistake. I was trying to activate my accelerated gfx and disabled IGFX and enabled PEG graphics, a very bad mistake, now I have a black screen and no video out on the ports. Resetting the bios did not work in this case and I am trying to flash using the WIN+B method with USB. There is no sign of the USB being read, I have the UEFI formatted USB and have used the phoenix tools to decode the BIN and SIG files per this forum.
    Sometimes when I hold Fn+V the laptop powers on and the trackpad light goes off, I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
    I have tried renaming the bios files to other numbers around the platform name, under the battery it is 01657, but the HP website and Donavon's bios is 01658, I have tried 01656, 01657, 01658 and 01659.
    Can you tell me what I may doing wrong since the USB (with lights) does not seem to activate under any keypress such as Win+B, Win+V, Fn+B and Fn+V? I currently have the HDD, DVDROM and wifi card removed. Should I be using the Donavon BIOS to reflash or the HP provided BIOS updates?
    Thank you kindly for your help!

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try 1 ram stick... take battery and power out hold power button 30 secs to drain.

did you create Diagnostics UEFi on usb ?

might need a full .bin dump and programmer.

10. ninjaman666

ninjaman666 MDL Novice

May 21, 2018
    Thanks for the reply!
    I am using both the HP BIOS Update UEFI sp52509.exe, installed on 1gb USB with the Bios files in folders, and also trying the sp55068.exe, but neither show USB activity when booting. I have also tried to blindly reset the bios with F10, F9 enter F10 enter, but nothing happens.
    I have ordered a programmer for the bios chip just today as a last resort, I have soldering skills so hopefully that would work. Otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
    When you say take the battery out, are you talking the laptop battery or CMOS battery?
    I have also tried 1 stick of ram only.
    Is there anything else left to try?
    Thanks in advance!

11. mariolino

mariolino MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
  12. mariolino

mariolino MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    after I post the message I try with HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY.
    I select 017.bin and 017.SIG and after Win+B the Usb key blink for 2-3 minutes. When it stops display is always black but NO caps lock 2 blink.
    what do you think??

13. mariolino

mariolino MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2013
    UPDATE: I remove cmos battery for 15 minutes and now the pc works correctly! thank's a lot!

14. shinebox

shinebox MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2018
    Hi
    I have a HP 15-j053cl and rev. 1962-100. I have spent days going over this thread trying different methods trying to recover a failed bios update through windows. Current situation is that I could make the laptop boot through HP's Bios recovery via usb flashdrive but only on the latest one they offer on this specific model (by serial#) via hp drivers and software page. It would do the writing new bios image with the blue loading bar then the verifiying new bios image. It then says "the system bios recovery is complete" either click on continue start up or let the timer run out. Tried both and I could never get it to the part with the black screen with "clearing pending image...". What I get is a blank black screen no more no less. Is this still recoverable? I'm about to bite the bullet and just buy a replacement mobo. I'd really appriciate any advice I coud get.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if it shows recovery working.. you likely have a EFI/ windows issue.

tried entering diags with F2 ?

16. shinebox

shinebox MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2018
    I've tried getting into diagnostics from created USB or HDD and unsuccessful.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sounds like bad ram or incorrect version bios (old in hdd and new flashed wont return to older sometimes)
    might be newer in pc and one in diag partition is too old to recover, made usb recovery of old but not oldest .. usualy shows other versions
    with efi diag in it also ??

worse come to it.. get ch341A cheapo programmer and we find a bios .bin dump for it.
    first make backup.bin 2 times and compare. then we can try to clear ME region.