HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    Check if HP folder is not present on the hidden partition of your physical drive.

2. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    @Simple07
    Let me explain in order. You created a F.27 BIOS recovery USB. Thats correct? When you insert a USB flash drive into a laptop port, the BIOS can access the flash drive with firmware management software on it. BUT hewlett packard uses the same software for BIOS updates too. And hold up, the BIOS can be updated without a flash drive. To do this, the update program moves files in the ESP partition of local drive. This means that the HP folder on that partition will prevent the software on USB flash drive, because when updating the BIOS, the image file is sent to a folder named "New", and for recovery to "Current". Make sure the ESP partition does not have an HP folder before using the USB drive. BIOS reads internal drives first.

3. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    So, this is why people disconnect the Hard Drive when updating through USB!!
    Thanks,

4. includao

includao MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2012
    Thanks for this guide

5. millenod

millenod MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2010
    Hi,
    I've a HP Z2 mini Gen9 with secured boot enabled.
    I don't have the bios password.

The motherboard doesn't have any jumpers to reset the password.
    an ancient method was to flash a SMC.BIN file to reset the BIOS. Each SMC.BIN file seems different and based on mother board s/n + UUID.

Any idea how to generate this file or how to reset the password?

6. cz1992

cz1992 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2021
    You may disconnect power supply and laptop battery . Then unplug the motherboard battery. Next, press the power button for 10 seconds.

After that, restore all actions. The laptop CMOS maybe reset. I have a hp 14q laptop, and reset CMOS by this way, hope it helps.

7. millenod

millenod MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2010
    I already tried. it doesn't work.
    Z2 computers are super secured. only way is to erase and reprogram the BIOS.
    technician guy from HP had to change the motherboard, to reprogram the BIOS :/

8. boydepcodon

boydepcodon MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2024
    my HP Pavilion dm4 laptop is bricked. I also followed the instruction but not sure that i am doing right. Can you give me some step for recovery the bios.
    Bricked status: Capslock flashing, F12 key turn orange.
    Thanks in advanced