HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    did u test ram ?
    youre going to make the bios chip seller rich at this pace.
    next time.. dont solder bios chip. find the dos flash tool and boot DOS usb with good chip pressed against board.. swap chip and flash broken one.

if youre near tampa i can recover bios with spi programmer.
    im prety sure u have a bad ram stick causing a corrupt flash.

2. jdcc22

jdcc22 MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks for your offer, but I'm in Spain.

The behavior is better than with the old chip, now the bios can be flashed (and the process finish), but it doesn't boot. I have try to boot and flash with another ram module from another laptop, but the result is the same.

Moreover, now after flashing several times with the new bios chip, I don't know why the usb is not read by the laptop when I try to reflash.

Thanks

3. jdcc22

jdcc22 MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2013
    By the way, I have had two hp laptops, and both have had problems with two years and a few months. I have two macbooks, one with 6 years and another one with 4 years, and I just have changed the battery of the first one.

I think I will not buy another hp computer in my life...

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    what does bad ram have to do with manufacturer?
    ive seen more toshibas and asus do bad bios flash than HP.
    don t use infected USB or windows to flash..test ram first before flashign bios.
    what made u flash bios ? symptom ?

5. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    Could a 16GB USB stick make any problems?
    I mean because of the size.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if laptop is EFI then likely not.
    sometimes u have to open laptop and look for a sticker with the proper motherboard id for the filename.bin
    example 17xx on a sticker on chip.

7. Yugo

Yugo MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2013
    Under the Battery on the Plastic it says:
    Rev:17FA-110
    Is it this? We called the files 017FC.bin

In the manual it says:
    h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02876562.pdf

So do I have to press F2 and not Win+B?

Edit:
    Wow, here is a whole pdf File about the recovery from HP:
    h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01564727/c01564727.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It says:

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    name the file 017FA.bin and .sig
    also try without 0 in it 17FA.bin and sig

win B

9. wiiilllsooon

wiiilllsooon MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2013

Hey Everyone, I have an HP dv6 -6135dx. I downloaded Phoenix Tools v2.13 and the BIOS update from the HP website. I clicked on the bin file xxxxxF21.VLC and ran it using Phoenix Tools. I selected HP for the company and SLIC portion. After running PT, I only see a .dec and xxxxxF21_SLIC.dec file. I ran PT in "dynamic" if that makes any difference. Can anyone tell me why I'm not getting an RSA.sig file? I already made my flash drive HP_TOOLS with UEFI. I plug it into my laptop and the USB flashes for 2 seconds, pauses, and then flashes for another five seconds before it shuts off completely. I changed the file names to what was recommended on the first page of this thread but it still doesn't work. Can someone please help? I have a big project on my laptop and it would take at least 6 hours to redo.

Thanks!

10. Polacco

Polacco MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank You very much: Rolleyes:: Godny:: Rolleyes:
    My HP635 runs!

11. semsema

semsema MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2011

same thing here, i have envy 17t-3200 CTO 3d
    i used PT 2.14 and everything went ok except there is no files at all the sig either as a name or as extension.

i get same files as wiiilllsooon but with my motherborad ID (1852) instead.
    any help or advice about that?
    thanks,

12. baryl

baryl MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi. I've bricked my HP Compaq 8710p trying to update BIOS to F20 version. System does not boot. It starts showing BIOS logo, then shows info about failed bios update (seen before update too) and restarts. THis loop is constant even if trying to press WIn + B. THe only thing changed by mentioned key combination is flashing caps lock light.
    On some other forum I was informed that this is Insyde BIOS based machine. I am trying to recover it, however I have found so many different procedures and even some which I think are meant for UEFI based machines that now I am completely lost. COuld someone clearly tell me if it is possible to recover from USB stick or internal CD drive? Some wrote that FDD is the ONLY option. In this case I will need to go and find DC361B drive.

13. baryl

baryl MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2013
    I have just used wincrys 1.0.0.4. I renamed ROM.BIN into BIOS.WPH but it did not work. There is no reaction from comupter side showing any interest in the flash stick. What about ROM.SIG file? I read somwhere that it is also required in order to flash.
    By bios for 68mad platform does not contain .wph file by default.
    HP wrote a note that after F20 flash it is not possible to downgrade. I read somwhere that there is a protected area in eeprom which counts flash versions and does not allow downgrades.

14. jayvastani

jayvastani MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2013
    I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH! just after tens of methods this one worked!!

P.s. i registered just to thank you...

15. RXII

RXII MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi Guys,
    I have HP G6-1210TX which I attempted to update the bios which of course failed. I am getting the black screen and 2 flashes on the caps lock key. After HEAPS of reading I am still unable to get to the reflash stage. The USB led flashes but thats about it. I have downloaded the UEFI tool and setup my usb stick, downloaded the F33 version (sp54660 original BIOS) as well as the F66 version (sp60864.exe, this is the version that I was trying to update to). The F33 version has 0166CF33.BIN, 0338AF33.BIN & 01666F33.BIN, The part I am stuck on is what to rename them as after running then through phoenixtool 214?? Its an Intel I5 with Radeon Graphics. Any help would be fantastic as I keen to get it going!

Cheers,
    RXII

16. RXII

RXII MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013