HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try different version .. this is F.33

2. RXII

RXII MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013
    Will do thanks. But do you think my file naming should be ok?
    Cheers,
    Simon.

3. tadikz

tadikz MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2013
    Good Day!

I am new here. I had a problem with my HP DV6255eu laptop, Its not booting up. It stock on HP logo. It happened during bios update, in the middle of flashing its hang, I have no option, i remove battery and unplug it. I conclude there's a bios failure. I have tried many steps as the forum said but no luck. Wincrisis, phoenix and crisis disk nothing happened. Thank you for reply..

Edit: Problem solved; After trial and error method i successfully done flashing and recover my bios. I used 30B7F43.WPH. It must renamed to BIOS.WPH to make it work.

4. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi,

I flashed my HP Pavilion dv7-4280us BIOS with an AdvancedMenu mod from the bios-mods.com repository. Now, the laptop isn't able to boot. I read that it's due to an RSA signing problem. The fans come on, and it powers up, but it won't do anything else. It reads from the hard drive and flash drive(s) like it's supposed to, but it won't load the recovery EFI. Any ideas on fixing it?

Thanks.

5. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    The ID for my system is 163D. Should I name the files 163D.bin/.sig, or 0163D.bin/.sig? Also, should I extract the files from the first link you gave me, or just use the ones you gave me in the second link?

Edit: I tried both versions of the files. The flash drive(s) are read from by the system, then it appears to reboot and try again. The hard disk is disconnected.

Thanks for your help so far!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if F.23 dont work try different version.. might need the 0 in front.. not sure.

7. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    So far it still won't start. If I use 0163D or 163D, it searches, restarts, searches, restarts, etc. If I use 01448, it searches once, and then continues running, but turns off the flash drive. What do you think is the cause of the difference?

Also, sometimes when I start the system, the caps lock light stays on solid, and sometimes it does not. Is it possible that it has to do with whether or not I pressed Windows+B at the right time?

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely its version of bios .. or u need to remove 1 ram stick to test 1 ram at a time.

9. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm trying again with F.23. I tried every filename you gave to me, and it loops for all of them except 01448. The fan also speeds up after it finds that one, so I'm guessing that means it's the correct filename.

I tried removing each stick of RAM, but the process wouldn't even start if one of them was missing (and depending on which slot was missing, sometimes the computer would go into a power cycle loop).

As for the BIOS version, I've tried with both F.29 and F.23, and it still doesn't appear to be flashing. It just sits there with its fan on high.

Ideas?

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    possible the chipset needs to be reheated to resolder to board also known as reflow

11. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm not terribly comfortable with doing a reflow on the board, especially since I'm not entirely sure I need it. Why would adding a modified BIOS require a reflow for recovery?

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    on rarre cases the chipset is working 97% and error occurs that causes bios to not finish... usually bad ram or chipset issue.. check your board to see if its in the known chipset issues list.

try taking dvd drive out.
    also reset cmos by battery removal and short.

13. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    I took out the DVD drive and the CMOS battery, but the same thing is happening. What was it you wanted me to short?

Edit:
    I read the entire 49-page thread on the undocumented recovery process and tried everything there. I found that the BIOS file is looking for "HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\Current\01448.BIN" and "HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\Current\0144D.BIN", based on the ROM dump from Andy's tool. The system still only 'responds' to 01448.BIN, however, and just goes into a loop if I give it 0144D.BIN. I also have another copy of the file called SMC.BIN at the root of the flash drive.

In addition, I've tried putting the files on a CD and SD card, and it at least tried to read the CD (the SD card has nothing to indicate that it's being read, but it was warm afterward). I've also tried with and without the CMOS batter, hard drive, optical drive, and all other non-essential peripherals (e.g. touchpad, fingerprint reader, wifi adapter) connected.

Also, if I use 01448.BIN, after it finishes reading the first time, if I press buttons more than a few times it starts beeping with every keystroke, indicating to me that it's probably hung at that point.

Any further ideas that don't involve manually reprogramming the chip? If it comes down to it, I DO have an Arduino and I could probably try to dump the EEPROM, merge in the working BIOS, and program it with that. I'm not terribly comfortable with that though.

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    beeping on key press means it booted partialy = lcd issue or video.. try VGA plug external monitor.

u do have the right filename if it matches under battery.
    im still sayign it dont look like bios now that u get 1448 to make pc act different than 144D.. so its hardware issue.

short the battery terminals toghether for 20 seconds or so. to drain power from cmos bios.

15. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    I shorted the terminals. The filename doesn't actually match the label under the battery; 0163D and 163D didn't work.

I'm still not getting video on either display. When the flash drive stops reading, I notice that the light on the caps lock key turns off as well.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    not sure then.. i have seen that before.. it was chipset needing reflow. also check ram. bad ram will cause a bad flash.

17. Turaiel

Turaiel MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    Would you suggest that I post a new thread so that it has a higher chance of being seen?

18. Everestar

Everestar MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    Hello. On the notebook HP Presario CQ57-372SR was improperly flashed the BIOS on the programmer, ie there is no data Serial, Product, Model, Rev, PCID. Instead, some icons. Because of this, when you start the laptop always beats out an error saying that the wrong data, although in the future the system starts up and runs fine, but I would like to eliminate this nuisance. All the data for making me have: Serial, Product, Model, Rev, PCID. Suggested that it would take HP DMI Tools, it is already there. Readme in English, in principle, seems to be sorted out, but decided to clarify in any case, not to make a mistake. In DOS launched unpacked hpbq189.exe (others do not start), edited by Serial and Model, other options out there that I know are not present. There is a GUID, UUID, Asset tag and stuff, which I do not, and where to get them I have no idea. Edit, save, reboot, and went into the BIOS ..... Nothing has changed there. What am I doing wrong? Can I merge the existing firmware and edit it in HEX-editor?

19. Everestar

Everestar MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    Already tried a lot of .exe files of HP DMI Tools and all do not work. Where to find it on this model?