HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  2. Everestar

Everestar MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    The fact that I bought this laptop, and only then I was informed that they have reprogrammed the BIOS on the programmer. He was advised to try the program HP DMI Tools for solving this problem. Thanks, I will try. then write

3. Everestar

Everestar MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you very much, dear LatinMcG. Thanks to you, I eliminated my problem. You are a true professional!

4. JeffJG

JeffJG MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello guys, my Win 8 HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Quad Edition just bricked today after running the HP Assistant, which tried to change the BIOS from F.22 to F24. It downloaded, installed fine and then tried to restart but the laptop never made it.
    Now it just makes some fan noise, blu-ray drive noise, black screen, some lights work (Power button, Wifi is amber, "HDD" and Power, No Caps Lock light though), even the backlighting turns off and on. But after several seconds goes into a cycle of around 5 autoreboots, after which said lights stay lit.
    I must say that 3 weeks ago, when I got the laptop, I changed the original HDD for an 512GB SSD (BIOS change to Legacy option for it to work), changed the RAM from 8GB to 16GB (which I think was generating some PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and Memory_Management random reboots... reason for the BIOS update) and installed Win 8 Enterprise.
    Also, I have tried the power drain, Win Key + B technique and the like but none work.
    I think the USB method might work for me but cannot seem to find the UEFI software inside my laptop driver's page.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I have the original SWSETUP folder backed up and below the battery you can see: Rev: 181E-110.

5. ghosthwdp

ghosthwdp MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    I need to say THANK YOU. I fixed my HP Pavilion dm1-3200sd with Yours solution.
    Bless You kallisti5 :rasta:

6. JeffJG

JeffJG MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi LatinMcG, thanks for the quick reply! That driver page and UEFI SE tool are for the Pavilion 7000 series, is that OK?
    I still have the original 2x 4GB sticks if that helps at all.
    So I cannot use the phoenix tool technique or anything else? Am I stuck with a brick?

7. ormorgan139

ormorgan139 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    I believe I might have a similar problem to JeffJG. Yesterday I bricked by HP Pavillion DV6t-7000 CTO quad edition while updating to F.24 Insyde bios, and like Jeff, the phoenix tool had no impact on my .bin file, so it looks like this method isn't going to work. What options do I have?

8. ormorgan139

ormorgan139 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks very much for your help. I've really tried to research bios recovery over the past few days but im still pretty uninformed. I believe my motherboard is the 181B if that helps any. All of the bios downloads available for my computer (windows 7 or 8) are of the type that can't be used in Phoenix tool.

Is it possible that a similar hp laptop could have a bios that would work?

9. JeffJG

JeffJG MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Well I reached a dead end as my 4 USBs are not working at all, so I cannot try to use the sugggested .bin and .sig.
    Furthermore, any start of the laptop ends up looping, on for 3-5 seconds and off for 2-3 seconds.
    Anyway, thanks for the help.

10. JeffJG

JeffJG MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    Great news to report!!! Decided to insert the original memory sticks for the tenth time but also removed the SSD... after this the USB was responsive (boot order!), so I tried to use the Windows 7 BIOS (but with matching revision number) that LatinMcG suggested.
    Booted with no battery, just the AC cord and the Win Key + B sequence... then the USB drive (prepped with UEFI tool) lighted up and a little blue window showed a BIOS flashing progress bar. After that there was no on-off cycle and the Caps Lock light was blinking twice. Waited for several minutes of this just to make sure it was done and then turned off the laptop, removed the USB drive and started the laptop regularly.
    The UEFI reported a missing Hard Drive and presented me with some diagnostic tests, but I restarted the laptop and pressed the F10 key to check the BIOS. Everything seemed OK and it showed the new F.24 BIOS version, even the Legacy Option was still ON.
    So after powering off the laptop I proceeded to install my SSD and it booted right up!!!
    I cannot thank you enough LatinMcG, you are the MAN!!! High praises to you and kallisti5!!!

11. ormorgan139

ormorgan139 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2013
    I also have wonderful news! My computer is back up and running again! I had neglected to remove the ram and put it back in (because I though there was no way it was that easy), but after I did, it worked beautifully!! Thanks to all who helped, and don't give up if you're having problems.

12. Enem

Enem MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2013
    @LatinMcG
    I very much appreciate if you would get me the correct .FD name and .SIG with what I can flash my corrupted BIOS.
    HP Pavilion dv6-2007so
    File name: sp47531.exe
    couldn't post a direct link to the product to make it easier.
    [Platform_Check]
    flag=2
    PlatformName=3635
    PlatformName2=3636
    PlatformName3=3637
    PlatformName4=3638
    PlatformName5=3639
    PlatformName6=363A

Under the battery:
    Rev:3636 - 200

Thanks a 1000 time for all your efforts in helping ppl.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    this sp47531 is old method not EFI... not RSA.

create HP_TOOLS USB and put file in proper folder.
    Hewlett-Packard/Bios/Previous and also Current.
    says to use A.bin .. i think its 3636.bin

have u made sure its not LCD or chipset ? or ram ?

14. Enem

Enem MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the quick answer, I have checked those two they are OK.
    the caps lock is blinking as BIOS failure. Although I had to change the power button cable because it was not functional .
    I will try now what you suggested and see.

Thanks again.

15. Enem

Enem MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2013
    I have formatted a 1GB USB Flash Disk, copied to it all possible names of the .BIN file as well as the .FD one
    HP_Tools\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current
    \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\previous
    - Plugged the stick in the laptop, pressed the win key + B, plugged the power, started the laptop, released
    the win+B when the SUB reading started, but it didn't last more than 4-5 seconds then laptop rebooted again.
    Nothing happened, I kept repeating the task many time but no result; changed the RAM, removed all the drives...

Any Idea? Thanks

16. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    reason I'm posting is a client's bricked -out of warranty- HP Pavillion dv6 1120ev (stuck at HP logo)

Hello everyone, thank you all for everything, I've been reading on bios-mod threads for a few days now and learned a lot. I was able to successfully flash the BIOS with a USB with the bios fd file renamed. There were several beeps and finally the laptop shutdown itself. I've done this several times with different BIOS'es so I'm almost sure I'm doing it right.
    However the laptop still won't boot, it's stuck at the HP logo, unresponsive. After a while the cpu fan kicks in and stays like this till I press the power button -it shuts down normally. Of course I've tried everything I could think of before that, reseated RAM's, tried different RAM's, removed/replaced HDD, battery is always removed.
    As I mentioned this is a client's laptop, and all this happened when I replaced the LCD screen. That's what the client tells me, he says laptop was working fine even with the minor crack on the screen (which was the reason we replaced it with a CCFL modded compatible one) and I have no reason not to believe him.

So this nb almost died in my hands, and now I have to repair it -and in no extra cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated ..
    The only thing I believe I haven't tried is the graphics chip reflow ..

EDIT:
    the USB contains the HP fd file renamed to 3 different filenames, hope that's OK

EDIT2:
    I had to make sure it's not the LCD's fault, so I unplugged the LCD's connector and connected and external monitor(removed and reseated RAM as well, several times), same thing happened. Laptop boots, but stuck at HP logo.
    One other thing, if a usb device(tried kbd, usb stick) is connected, the screen is blank, it opens up, displays a dash for 1-2 seconds and then goes black.
    May I also add, I've tried removing all connectors from the mainboard, including the touchpad and usb slots.Nothing changes, same thing happens.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try booting without battery. (also look under battery for the filename of bios.. this one is not UEFI)
    [Platform_Check]
    flag=2
    PlatformName=3627
    PlatformName2=3628
    PlatformName3=3629
    PlatformName4=3623
    PlatformName5=3624
    rename it to it.. ending with .bin and .fd

reset cmos by removing the lil round battery.
    i dont think its bios.. likely the ati chip or the other (southbridge?) might need reflow due to ROHS leadfree solder.

is the screen the right screen ? unplug it and boot with VGA cable.
    i have DV6-2157US.. AMD not intel so its not same but the screen is LED not CCFL.