HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kallisti5, Jul 23, 2012.

1. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Some Help Please- Laptop BRICKED-
    HP G62-390US

I copied this persons posts from another site as they have the same problem.
    It does read the usb drive as I see the light flash for a few seconds.
    I think I just don't have the proper files or something.
    I do have the old and new HP official bios files (unpacked from the SPxxxx).

I tried renaming them to 1444.bin .sig .fd but nothing working.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE SPENT 8 hours trying to fix this.
    I can't get to the bios recovery screen.
    THANKS!
    **I had to remove links because I am new I can't post links.

So I tried to remove the WLAN limit and get the advanced settings but may have used an RSA signed bios, or used the incorrect bios etc.

However, now my laptop has semi-bricked (I think it's semi)

I followed the guide at but was not successful. Also followed the guide at

I downloaded the legit bios from HP - and extracted the file 0143B.fd, renamed it to 0143B.bin, followed the folder structure in the topic above and have not had any luck booting with Windows key + B or all 4 arrows.

I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery for 15 minutes, after which the CHECKSUM error appears, once restarted returns to the failed bios recovery screen.

Boot up laptop
    Screen stays black for ~20 seconds
    The bios recovery appears, and just says that the system BIOS recovery failed, wait 15 secs to restart or press enter
    Press enter/wait, and cycle repeats

Please can anyone offer me some more advice, and it would be great if instructions could be provided for how to do this correctly as I've seen many different ways to correct this

2. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    the rev is 1444-110

I am not new to computing but I am kinda new to this bios part of things.
    There was no warning from the file I used posted by camiloxxx

I will try the mediafire link and let you know.
    I am online now so I can reply to you right away
    Thanks for assisting me

3. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    can you please provide link to the phoenix tool (I have the phoenix bios tool editor, is it the same)

4. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Can you please provide me the info as to where on the usb key to put the files?
    I am working from another post so maybe the info is not right for this unit.
    thanks

edit- I placed both files in the ...current dir and it is now loading/flashing
    I did remove the .dec from the file name

YOU SIR ARE AWESOME!!!

5. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Does anyone having a working bios with no whitelist for this G62?
    thanks

edit- I got the laptop working again. I downloaded the same file from here in the whitelist section.
    Everything is working now. I have no idea what happened the first time.

@LATINMCG - again, thank you very much for your quick responses and getting the laptop working again.
    It's people like you that keeps the fun in this stuff.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    retry the camilo file .. make sure u load defaults in bios after flash ?

7. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    I did reload his file and it worked. I did not load defaults after.
    I will do that now for whatever reason it could make.

* I added a Ralink wifi card. It works BUT it turns off and I have to keep pressing the wifi on button every time you shut off the laptop. The default is not on. Any ideas?

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had same issue once.. but at least it works.
    tape pin 21 ?

9. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    thnx for your time, I've already tried the battery as well, and as I said, I tried booting with an external monitor.
    DV6 comes in 3 screens, this one is CCFL. Anyway screen doesn't matter.
    Is it possible to get video output to the point the HP logo shows up, but not get past this? I mean, is it possible this is a graphics chip problem since I'm getting video on the screen?
    I wanted to avoid opening it up and relflowing the chip, but I guess I have no other choice.
    Thanks anyway

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if u reset bios settings it should load from lcd.
    but i have heard if this issue and they had to do the cmos battery or flash bios with recovery method.
    the screen with LED does break a lot ... but it doesnt show Hp logo. so you have a legitimate bios or mobo issue not lcd.
    could still be chip but i sorta doubt it is.
    tried 1 ram stick at time ?

11. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Got it.
    It's pin 20.
    I used some packaging tape and thank God I had one of those craft knife like an exacto to trim that tiny piece.
    You only put the tape on 1 side and that 1 pin. It works like a charm now.
    THANKS AGAIN:worthy:

This is phucking annoying that we can't post links not even insert a photo.
    How are people supposed to better help if I have to wait for 20 posts before I can add a link or photo?

12. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    It's a reflow issue.
    make sure you cover the fan connector with 2 layers of foil.
    I put copper shims back in and dropped the temp by 10C.
    I also used Noctua NX1 paste.

Take your time it will work.

If you use a heat gun, set it to low and only flow for 2:30 seconds.
    Keep the gun 4 inches above and move back and forth.
    Start the first 45 seconds or so higher to warm up the area then move in closer, start 6 inches or so above.
    Cover the entire board with the thick foil and cut out the video chip section.

I put thermal paste on both sides of copper shim (no shim for cpu needed).
    Add shim to GPU and Southbridge/Northbridge chip.

I have done this method a few times and it works.
    You are lucky since it has just started.

Wait until you see all that crap in the fan.

Also I drilled holes in my case to allow for more air.
    remove stickers from the cooling pipe and other places, stickers insulate temps.
    drill 3-5 holes on the bottom of the case (half the size of a dime), put the holes where the cooling pipe runs and also where the GPU and Bridge chips are.

I also put some by ram chips and wifi card.

My Dv6000 does not get past 50c most of the time it's under 40c and that's without a cooling pad.
    Same machine used to sit 50-80c

Install speedfan and coretemp to monitor your temps and shut down pc if too hot.

You will be so suprised to see that cheap melted thermal pad and little to no thermal paste on the cpu.
    * I sometimes put the thermal pad between the shim and the heatsink to hold the shim in place.

13. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    thnx guys.
    I've done reflow successfully about 5 or 6 times the last 5 months, and your advice is correct.
    I use a AOYUE station, so far it has helped a lot in the reflow process.

This drilling holes thing sure is a good idea, I'll throw it as an extra tip that should be followed by the owner.

At the moment I'm waiting for the board to cool off, I've already done the reflow on the ATI chip.
    If that doesn't work, I'll try reflowing the other chip as well, next to the graphics and the cpu socket.

I'll get back in a while to let you know the results!

EDIT: forgot to mention, hp62 you were right, there was no thermal paste on the center of the ATI chip

EDIT2: reflow OK, laptop still hungs at HP logo .. :(
    the worst thing is that there is no way to get more feedback, it just sits there at the first boot screen and the only thing that works is the power button to turn it off!

now trying to reflow the other chip -still don't know what that is

EDIT3: reflow OK, nothing changed .. back to where I started :((
    this is the hardest repair I've ever tried.
    I'm thinking I might try the bios flashing again .. maybe with a different BIOS
    As I said, when a USB is plugged in(kbd or usb stick) a dash appears on the upper left corner of the screen for a second, and the screen stays black till I shut it off(normally).
    Is there anything else I could try? I already tried removing everything!

14. hpg62

hpg62 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    Well at least you have a hp screen and power.
    You mentioned ATI, usually it's the nvidia chips that go bad.

Go with your idea and reinstall a new bios or stock bios.
    Did you remove the CMOS battery for a while?
    Latin really helped me out.

Maybe you should repost exactly how your usb key is setup to reflash and the files you are using.
    My problem was my files were not decrypted so Latin did that and posted the files for me to use.
    remember the usb key has to be named HP_TOOLS just like what you see underscore and all formatted to fat16 (or fat32).
    USe the HP UEFI tool and place your bios files you need in the proper directory.

As mentioned, post your steps and the file names you are using.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    macns model is not UEFI type so hes in wrong thread. he needs to folow old insyde hp style.

a dash on top left .. hmm

16. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    Yes I did remove the battery, I also did short the two battery pins.
    The usb key contains just 3 files, which are actually the first 3623F24.fd file included in the original hp flash utility, renamed to:
    3627.bin, 3628.bin, UT35.bin (I guess one of them is the right one, just didn't bother any more with it)

I got those names from the platform.ini file:
    I experimented for 2 days to get those filenames right to successfully flash the BIOS *I think I did anyway*,
    Right now I used the HP UEFI setup to create the usb key, and put the 3 files in the Current and New folders and
    it didn't flash. It seems it doesn't find the files at all. I don't understand .. it was flashing ok with just those 3 files in the usb root.

17. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    can you please point me to the old style? I thought it was UEFI !!

18. macns

macns MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2013
    one other thing I noticed, the fd file has to be renamed to the 4 digits of the platform.ini entries
    eg:
    [Platform_Check]
    flag=2
    PlatformName=3627
    PlatformName2=3628
    PlatformName3=3629
    PlatformName4=3623
    PlatformName5=3624

the fd file in the spXXXXX file has to be renamed to one of them, like so: 3627.bin 3628.bin etc.
    Also to help others, the DV6 1120ev I'm trying to flash, won't go into flash mode with the normal procedures described here,
    I'm always flashing with the following steps:

power cord plugged in,
    plug in usb key,
    press and release power button while holding down win+B keys,
    when starts beeping release the win+B

when it finishes it shuts down by itself(takes 3-4 minutes with various long and short beeps)

Now that I've tried a different BIOS file, it stuck with all leds on, no blink, and it doesn't shut down, even with a long power key press! that's a new .. lol

EDIT:
    OK now I'm really screwed !!! I pulled the plug to turn it off and now it won't turn on at all!! no lights no nothing!!
    WTF!!!