HP mediasmart server software Q

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by phasezero, Jun 26, 2009.

1. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    it looks like the 2.5 update allows you to turn off hardware notifications. Now i just need to find an ex48x restore disk.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    #23 phasezero, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    (OP)
    I don't know the technical details about how activation works, i just follow other peoples footsteps. So i'll try my best to explain. In my case i already had an edited dmi as i previously had standard oem whs installed. I thought that after restoring the mediasmart image that all i would have to do was run the vbs script that came from the oem whs disk makers. It didn't end up working so i used the vlk to oem tool using an hp whs oembios files and that seemed to do the trick.

I was going to do the 2.5 on ex47x workaround but i was reading on mediasmart.net that they haven't figured out why it messes up photo webshare which i liked. So for the time being i think i'm going to keep looking for a ex48 restore dvd or eventually wait for the 2.5 update for ex47's.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So all in all it is possible to have HP MSS on non-HP hardware (minus the hardware notification errors)

Nice one

sebus

5. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    Can you write a short guide on how you got mss installed on your build ?

Thanks.

6. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    Ya i'll put up a rough guide some time later today or tomorrow. Though i can't guarantee any reliability and the same results for everyone.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #27 sebus, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017

Attached Files:

8. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    HP MSS install help ?

I created WinPE usb and got the Whs-recovery-server.exe to run. On my other pc ran the whs-recovery but I get server not found error.

The intended whs server machine has an ip address and can ping websites. I have unchecked firewall on my client pc.

All connections are wired.

Any help is appreciated.

9. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    #29 phasezero, Jul 13, 2009
    (OP)
  10. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    #30 orange, Jul 13, 2009
  11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Damn, I wish i'd read the whole tread and got to this guide.
    Instead of checking out the links as came across them, it would have saved me alot of time. :p

Still thanks for the Guide Dude. ;)

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008

So I assume you have it working then?

sebus

13. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    Hp mss

I got the NIC drivers injected into Winpe. It is restoring now but keeps popping up the "Socket::Read - timed out" error. Maybe its time I bought a new NIC. Phase or ZaforD did you have this error ? Any suggestions ? What was your NIC ? Thanks.

14. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    No i didn't have that error, but the added drivers got you further though? I have a Dynex PCI Gigabit card that uses the realtek RTL8169SC chipset. I didn't want to spend alot so i bought it off ebay for 9 shipped, theres a ton of them for sale. Wish i could help you but i don't have any other ideas.

15. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    Hp mss

Thanks for your suggestion on adding nic drivers. I also get the "FSCTL allow extended dasd io failed error 87" when the listener is first created. I have a SATA2 drive. Did you have this error or was your drive ide. Was your hdd already formatted to NTFS beforehand ?

16. phasezero

phasezero MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    Here is my setup

Biostar Tforce 6100
    Amd 64 2800+
    1 Gig DDR 3200
    WD Caviar Black 1TB - SataII
    Samsung Ecogreen F2 1TB - SataII
    Dynex PCI Gigabit NIC

Only drivers i needed for restore were the network drivers. Yes my HD was already formatted. Only error i had was the server took about 5 minutes long looking for a volume to install the image. I can't seem to find much info on the error you posted. Whats your setup btw?

17. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    My setup

My setup:

Foxconn Barebones RS10-S2 (builtin intel gma 950, realtek 8101e nic, realtek alc662 audio)
    Intel Atom 230 processor
    1gb ddr2 memory
    ICH 7
    250gb SATA II seagate hdd
    Samsung sata dvd drive
    usb kb and mice

I wanted to run a low power consumption server setup.

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    As I said:

You have more chances to retore EX47x image to an AMD older system (with I would expect plain IDE in legacy mode, not RAID or SATA or AHCI)
    Of course you can hand edit mass storage drivers if you want once the system is restored, but that requires quite a bit of tweaking
    But as MSS is only a WHS based on W2K3 then anything should be possible

With this "fancy" setup (as far as W2K3 is concerned) I see you having some "fun" trying to get it all working....

sebus

19. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Sebus,

I've got the process working, but i get various errors with the restore. (mostly HAL stuff)
    I'm pretty sure thats down to running it in Hyper-V and using an Intel based server.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to test it on an old AMD64 system this weekend. :)

As Sebus said the closer your system is to the MSS the better your chances of sucess will be.
    Like I said above, i'll be using an AMD64 system with Realtek NIC and SATA for my real tests. :cool:

20. MatthewH12

MatthewH12 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I was wondering if there was an easy way to get the latest HP MSS software to put on my WHS. Some of there addons seem pretty nice, but I haven't found where you can get them.