HP mediasmart server software Q

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by phasezero, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    There seems to be HPMSSRecovery_v2.0.iso from Jan 2009 available on newsgroups, but none of the copies I came accross is complete
    You can get the iso extracted from rar, but the actual volume.image inside the iso has unexpected EOF

If anybody has access to original HP gen 2 hardware & such disk it would be appreciated!

sebus

2. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #62 1clicc, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    What's the different between media smart and home server? I thought they were the same?

3. shawdy

shawdy MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    whs

I think mediasmart is just the name of the server, which runs windows home server software.

4. shawdy

shawdy MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009

Just curious why your looking for a hp mediasmart recovery disc? and not windows home server iso? why does it have to be the recovery? if you install that on any old machine would you not come across driver problems etc..

Just installing WHS did the job for me, it is the same software is it not?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    shawdy, read the thread carefully. HPMSS is WHS with added MediaSmart software from HP
    The software has way more options than the plain WHS and does NOT exist (to public) as standalone install.
    It only comes pre-installed on HP hardware (MediaSmart Server)

The restore disc has the full image of the MSS which can be restored onto anything you want (hardware independent syspreped image - ofcourse there will be some drivers missing, but how difficult is it to fix? - just install them)

sebus

6. shawdy

shawdy MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Ahh i see, what other features does that have that whs doesn`t ? Ability to backup folders only instead of the who pc would be a good idea.

Personally i don`t use whs much as much as i thought, i prefare to use acronis to scheduelle a backup to another drive and for individual files and folders i use Allway Sync to automatically transfer important files such as wifes pictures lol! to other pc.

7. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    After reading this thread and some more info off of mediasmartserver.net i was thinking to myself that it was perhap worth buying? A lot of people actually swap there Celeron to an E5200 65nm dual core and it work flawless. I have never own any NAS and i'm planning on building one from WHS but HP MSS seem to be the better choice for me because it uses less power than a regular PC, so i'll probably be grabing one not now but soon. Once i get my hand on one i'll probably contribute the recovery disc since this forum has help me a lot in the pass and today. So i hope i can get enough cash to grab one. BTW, are the hardware and software on the ex485 different from the ex487 other than an extra hard drive? Oh and how much capacity does the HP MSS be able to see? If it can go to 8TB it would be great. Thanks.

8. orange

orange MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009

Don't forget to the use the bing cashback (Hp has 20 to 25% cashback right now).;)

9. shawdy

shawdy MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Look forward to that thankyou. Just been taking a look at the links to the review above and didnt know the hp version offered so much more than just whs oem versions.

Shouldn`t mind one of those hp babys myself, but i much prefare to build than buy.

I wish i could get hold of a case that size, that looks simular. "Case Manufacturers are missing out on opportunitys here"

What would be the best mobo for a small server of that size, intel atom type mini ??

10. ey2h

ey2h MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    I used snapshot restore SnapshotEX47x files but blue screen. So I used Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server 9.7.0.8344 Universal Restore recover. Good news is system ok.But the system should be resetup shear folder. And backup Services connot start.How to setup?

11. ey2h

ey2h MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    Server restart the console is ok. But hard disk should check. After check is no used.

Attached Files:

12. shawdy

shawdy MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    mediasmart

hi read the thread, we dont actually have mediasmart version but we are looking for someone to share a restore image, even better an acronis disc image... Willing to share?? ;););)

13. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #74 msr, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. plowe

plowe MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    ok, so after some serious messing, i have got the .sna image on a hdd, and with some reading etc.. got it to boot.

now... i have used a 450GB hdd for the install, of which 20GB is being used as c:\ (SYS) but i have no D:\ (data) drive

i am guessing its to do with storage controller drivers normally fed in to the setup using the F6 option.

What options do i have to resolve this now that i have the HPmss/OEM box running>? as i can't use cosole properly, nor is the backup service running etc..

15. plowe

plowe MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    a couple of reboots and fiddling later, i now have a data drive, using the remainder of the 450GB

but the installer keeps failing looking for qi.ini i cant find it anywhere.

none of the shares are set up and iis doesn't seem to have been set up.

any ideas?

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    One more restore?

Do not let snapshot resize anything (leave the same size as image)

If that does not work again then restore again & before reboot create primary partition in the empty space (if using WindowsPE to restore then diskpart will do it)
    Do not assign letter and reboot

That should do it

sebus

17. plowe

plowe MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    Fixed..... ish

Started again,

1. Deleted all partitions and info from the 500GB disk
    2. Used Hirens10 as a boot disk, but added the snapshot images to it
    3. Ran snapshot using : restore HD1 auto c:\hpmss_ex.sna
    4. Let the restore finish, then booted to the hdd
    5. it booted and did all the server install and whs install
    6. it finally came to rest on the Administrators Desktop
    7. so i only installed the intel network drivers, and the intel chipset drivers, and let it reboot
    8. Connected to the server using a copy of the whsconnector from the whs software shared folder
    9. it ran its final configs, rebooted and voila! a working hpmss on an acer L320. (well minus a few IIS issues)

Thanks sebus for your guidance. Now all i need to do is get 2.5 update on it, activate, and get the IIS issues sorted.

18. plowe

plowe MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    updated to 2.5 but i don't seem to have the HP video convertor tab in the settings page..

everything else is working though.

any ideas ?

19. plowe

plowe MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    All fixed..

Installed PP2 and all is working, on 2.5 with video convertor as well. :D