Hp pavilion Dv6 display fail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mohkam, Apr 25, 2014.

1. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    The OP seems to be gone, he said that there was nothing on the display, and he never said whether there were any beeps or not. A powered up driveless motherboard should put something on the display, and would likely beep at you, even if disk drives and keyboard are disconnected. I wouldn't expect any beeps with a disconnected speaker, however.

It is the rest of us that seem to be wasting the most time here.

2. dioxide

dioxide MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    if you have extra vga port u can test it with another display, because if ur fans r spinning then maybe the display is dead

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    @dioxide, ...read Sherlock - start with FIRST post. :rasta:

4. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2012
    It sounds like the DV6 is an AMD not Intel. The AMD's get overheated and the video chip actually desoldered itself. There are companies that "reball" them at about $75 US. I am typing this on a DV9000 that had the same problem. I took it apart, used 3 pieces of aluminum foil with the chip area cut out of them. I used my heat gun held about an inch from chip and kept it moving slowly. I heated up the chip for about 30 seconds and let it sit for 30 seconds and repeated the process. I then let it sit for 5 minutes. I put it back together and it booted right up. It has been working with no problems for a year now. I have done the same procedure on 3 other AMD/HP laptops and all are working fine. You can google this procedure but I would suggest not to try the oven method you will find. Good Luck