HP Pavillion Axxxx Series (Need help on Vista OEM DVD)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dsfugabanjr, Aug 16, 2008.

1. dsfugabanjr

dsfugabanjr MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Thank you. The link to microsoft checksum is helpful. What I did is I downloaded an OEM DVD for SP1, I think it's already modified so I removed $OEM$ and replaced it with an $OEM$ folder that was downloaded from this forum and added a PID.txt. I can't test it though because I am still having a problem modding the BIOS for my test machine (my current machine before buying an HP).

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #22 reginakampher, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
    Why don't you test it using a virtual machine like VMware?

3. dsfugabanjr

Apr 24, 2008
    Virtual Machine

Virtual machine, hmm... the words aren't new to me, the same concept as virtual dvds do, except this one will emulate operating systems or should I say desktops. Yeah, I can do that... there's one little problem, I don't know how to install and use it. Worse than that, I don't have that kind of software. Is it free? Do you mind to give me a link or guide how to install and use it? The guys have been asking me to do the same thing, I wonder why because I don't know how it works without even modding the physical BIOS file. Can you help me? :)

4. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    Since your primary intent is to test your custom made Vista DVD, VPC 2007 will work just as well. Both of them are equally suited for your task at hand. I recommended VMware as they are the industry leader when it comes to virtualization software (some may disagree, it is my opinion). VMware does everything VPC 2007 can do and a whole lot more. The only thing VPC 2007 has in its corner is its price. You can't beat FREE.

So, in conclusion, there is really no difference between the two if your intent is to just test your custom DVD.

5. new2vista

new2vista MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2008
    Vista Download

Hi:

I formated all partitions of my new HP Pavilion dv5t laptop thinking that I have the Vista DVD. However, HP's Vista was Premuim 64bit with SP 1 and the DVD I have is 32bit. What should I do?

I tried to use the dowload link posted here but they don't work.

Where can I download the Vista Premuim 64bit with SP 1? Will the product key code on my laptop's sticker work with that downloaded vista?

Please help!

Thanks

6. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    You also formatted the recovery partition?? The link is no longer working as of today. You should easily be able to download a of Vista 64-bit with SP1 on the web. The difficulty is finding one that has not been altered in anyway. Only way to find out for sure is to download it and check the hash. The product key on your sticker should work. If it doesn't, you can always call M$ as you have a legit key that belongs to that computer.

7. new2vista

new2vista MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2008
    Thank you so much. Yes! I deleted all partitions as I wanted to make two partitions of my choice, one for system and one for my data.

What is M$?

Regards

8. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    #30 reginakampher, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    M$ = Microsoft

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @reginakampher On a side note virtual pc does not support 64-bit clients.

10. dsfugabanjr

Apr 24, 2008
    Virtual PC 2007 BIOS Files

Hey Guys,

Virtual PC 2007 seems to be lighter than VMWare, question is... does it have capabilities of BIOS mod? Does an HP OEM DVD (customized) will be activated without the BIOS modification on Virtual Machine? I've seen BIOS files related to VMWave though I admit I don't really understand how that works but the idea of creating an OEM is that, the BIOS needs an SLP2 or SLIC information in order to be activated, am I right? If so, can someone help me understand Virtual PC 2007 BIOS modification to run an HP OEM DVD installation for Vista?

Many thanks!

11. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
  12. new2vista

new2vista MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2008
    Yesterday, I called HP. After a hour of information collecting the Tech (who seemed to be working from home from India as the background was full of household noises) told me that now he will connect me to a real TECH!. Wow!. The Real Tech was told me that I have two choices only. Either I buy a Recovery Disk (Vista plus crapware) or I should pay $100 something for clean OEM Vista disk. I tried to explain him that I have already paid for Vista’s licenses when I bought the laptop so why $100 something for clean Vista disk. “You can return your laptop if you don’t like it” was the answer.

Then I called Microsoft. I talked to two people on two different numbers. They both told me that they can send me a new Vista disk only if I purchased the Vista either from a retail store or from MS itself. They told me that if your Vista came preinstalled with a PC then talk to that PC maker as MS cannot provide any help relating OEM installed Vista. When I told them I just need a Disk so I can use the licenses which came with the laptop, one of the Tech said ok he can sell me a Vista disk. I was happy until at the end of conversation he asked that it will cost me $200 something plus shipping. Wow!

HELP!...............................

I have formatted the whole HDD of week old laptop. Where can I get Vista disk to install Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1? Also, will the product key on the back of my PC work with such disk?

Regards

13. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    I don't have link to Vista 64-bit that has been verified to be clean. If you want, I could do a search for you and PM you a link. It is up to you to download it and verify that it is clean. As for the key, as it was previously stated, it will most likely work as it is a legit key for that computer.

Have you thought about returning it and getting another one as it's only one week old? Here in the USA, the return policy is quite good as you can return it within 30 days with no questions asked for most big retail outlets.

14. TheOneAndOnly

TheOneAndOnly MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2007
    #36 TheOneAndOnly, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. dsfugabanjr

Apr 24, 2008
    #37 dsfugabanjr, Aug 29, 2008
    (OP)
  16. TheOneAndOnly

TheOneAndOnly MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2007
    #38 TheOneAndOnly, Aug 30, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. dsfugabanjr

Apr 24, 2008
    #39 dsfugabanjr, Aug 30, 2008
    (OP)
  18. new2vista

new2vista MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2008
    #40 new2vista, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
    I don’t want to return the laptop as it has perfect balance of cost/performance for my needs. Even if I return it, it seems that I’ll be again stuck with the same issue as these days all machines comes with ****ware installed.

When you says, “Clean Vista” what does this mean? What's wrong with a copy of non clean Vista installed if my product key works?

Regards