HP Probook: Activation Windows 10 impossible from upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Lutschpuppe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Hello,

i have a very strange problem: I have a HP Probook 6570b with Windows 7 Pro x64, but after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro activation is impossible (error code: key blocked).

Windows 7 was activated with slic, genuine from HP, because it was sold with Windows 7 Pro.

What i tried yet:
    -cleaninstall with genuineticket.xml: first Windows 7, activation with installing key and cert, saving the activation-ticket and cleaninstall of Windows 10: no activation possible.
    -another harddrive: same here.....
    -switched from UEFI to CSM-mode in bios, installation Win 7 with MBR, activation and upgrade to 10: no activation possible!
    -phone activation was never possible after upgrades, only for retail/volume licenses.

I guess there is a problem with the genuineticket, regardless if it is automatically or manually build: Because the genuineticket in the C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket-folder doesn't disappear after restarting.

I did a few cleaninstalls with the genuineticket-trick on several computers and never had a problem with activation......
    Any ideas?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

call HP and ask for a solution ... if they have one

3. 600415

600415 MDL Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Try to install 8.1 and take the ticket from there… It worked for me for same problem on 6470b…

4. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Have u online validate your windows 7 before generate ticket?

Clean Install Win 7 Sp1 (Pro/Ultimate)-Install All Driver - Activate - Online Validation - Generate GenuineTicket
    Clean Install Win10 Pro - Install All Driver - Use GenuinTicket

5. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #5 chris34, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    You went straight for a ticket clean install installation without even trying to do the regular normal update process at all? If the regular official upgrade process didn't activate Windows 10, like Paul said, call HP only them will sort that out. The key Windows 10 add during the installation process is a generic install only key that cannot be activated. If you didn't even bother to try to upgrade your Windows 7 install to 10 using the normal process, reinstall/activate your W7 OEM and do the normal upgrade process to activate your Windows 10 install. If you call HP telling them about ticket activation, not following the official supported upgrade process, they will/might laugh at you and hang the call on you. :D

6. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    No, it was pre-activated with slic-table in bios. The reinstall was done with a retail dvd and offline activated with key- and cert-install (look in the bios-mod-forum).

I only installed and activated Windows 7, no missing drivers or software were installed. That worked in the past for about 10 different computers.

I tried both: Upgrading from running os, like the regular upgrading process, and the way with genuineticket.xml and cleaninstall.
    And the same with UEFI- and MBR-install.

7. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #7 xinso, Sep 27, 2015
    1. Upgrading from running os.
    2. C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket-folder doesn't disappear after restarting.

Q1: Upgrading thru Windows Update or ISO?
    Q2: If upgraded thru ISO, was Windows 10 able to surf the web?
    Q3: GenuineTicket.xml in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket disappeared or not?

Fact: With GenuineTicket.xml, free Windows 10 can be activated only with internet connected.

Q1: Network adapter (driver) ?
    Q2: Is the edition of Windows 7 and Windows 10 matched?

8. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    #8 Lutschpuppe, Sep 27, 2015
    (OP)
    -Upgrading from iso (burned to DVD and started setup in running OS). I did it never with Windows Update because of some reports of failing upgrade.
    -GenuineTicket.xml in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket didn't disappear after restarting or restarting the ClipSVC-service, thats a strange behaviour and never seen before. If you put the file in the folder and restart ClipSVC-service, you can see while the file disappears - normally, in my case NOT.
    -no network connection until trying to activate Windows 10! I know that network is needed for upgrade-activation and phone activation is not possible (yet?)
    -yes, same edition: Win 7 Pro x64 is upgradable to Win 10 Pro x64.
    -and always the same harddisk for upgrade, no hardwarechanges between the upgrade.

9. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #9 chris34, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Dude, if windows 10 rejected your ticket, it means it didn't like something and it didn't activate. The ticket is just a step in the update to activate process, it's not something that automatically/magically activate your OS before even being installed. Ticket, toilet paper or bank notes, if the install detected that something was wrong, it rejected it as part of the security measures in place that are part of the activation/update process, end of the story. It's not because you were able to activate 10 different computers this way (keyword: DIFFERENT), that it will work with all your different computers.

By that you mean you used the media creation tool to burn the ESD Windows downloaded, you didn't download yourself some other iso somewhere else right?

In any case reinstall your W7 OEM, make sure it's updated and activated, and once you get the message to upgrade to Windows 10, upgrade using the tool that was downloaded by your W7 update. If that update fails, use the media creation tool to bake a DVD or an USB key with the W10 your Windows 7 W10/GWX update process downloaded, and once everything is installed and if it's still not activated go complain to HP. For a $1000+ laptop I'm pretty sure they'll sort that out for you.

10. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    phone activation is not possible (yet?)

11. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  12. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    If You reinstall Win-7, You will at the least need to check for updates, and if You're able to download and install optional updates it means the M$ Servers accepted Your OS as "Genuine enough". As posted earlier You might want to Validate the Win-7 OS before moving to the next step.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Solved:

It is necessary to install all drivers before upgrading. I guess some hardware isn't recognized, which is used for calculating the ticket. Perhaps network or bluetooth card.

I did the rollback from Win 10 to 7, installed all available drivers, upgrade to 10 and online activation - success. I compared the tickets (old/latest).