HP Probook/Elitebook BIOS Password Reset [Utility]

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Mazzif, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rlp847

rlp847 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2020
    I have 2 EliteBook 850 G3's that were turned back in where a BIOS password was saved. We had an IT Staff member who deployed laptops without setting our standard BIOS password, and unfortunately we have no idea what they set. What can I do to get the BIOS unlocked? I booted from the USB drive and tried the shotgun method but that doesn't work.

2. ianhale

ianhale MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2020
    Likely access the chip directly using poma clip or similar and re flash clean

3. rlp847

rlp847 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2020
    Yikes, so likely no way to crack the pw that is set and clear it without using hardware of some sort? The main issue is that the webcams were disabled in BIOS I believe and with remote meetings in this day that’s kind of a necessity.

4. ianhale

ianhale MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2020
    In a similar boat and i am seeing no other method for my machine (8440w) I am not sure about yours. I was told it has worked in the past, but i presume a change in the bios causes it to no longer work as expected. I find it unusual the air if uneasiness in this thead, and the unwillingness to help. The developer removed the download link from his site, and everyone asks everyone to leave him alone but from the posts i have seen from him he seems helpful.

I would love to learn more about the reasons behind all of this, and the presumed secrecy of the tool.

5. rlp847

rlp847 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2020
    Yeah I have noticed that too in all the reading on this thread I’ve done. I used this tool a few years ago on an older elitebook and it worked fantastically. Too bad there’s nothing ‘easy’ that can be done, these are still serviceable laptops but I can’t even deploy them without working webcams, seems like such a waste.

6. melflyingplanet

melflyingplanet MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2020
    hi, did you succeed to reset bios password with Mazzif tool? Many thanks for the info !

7. Rabihm1979

Rabihm1979 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2020
    I just bought HP EliteBook 850 G1 G2Q64UP#ABA as second hand. The laptop runs great with windows, but my issue is that I can't enter the bios because it has a bios administrator password. I call the person I bought from and he told me that he is not the first owner and he doesn't know the password. After I did research, I called the HP and explained to them my issue. They told me that they stop the SMC.BIN file anymore. I asked them, then what is the solution? they said that I have to replace the motherboard. It didn't make sense to me. Can anyone help, please?

8. Narada

Narada MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2008
    You have to make a backup of your BIOS and replace the VSS store section with a BIOS copy without password. See this tread https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/hp-elitebook-70-series-bios-password-reset-util-test.56701/

9. hpuser_needbios

hpuser_needbios MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2020
    Hello, i have EliteBook 8470p is there utility i may be able to use to reset/clear bios password please?
    thank you

10. Life247

Life247 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2020
    Hi There
    I have a 8540W and bought it on a garage sale a year ago
    I need to activate virtualization can not get into the bios.
    Can you assist me with it please?

11. make-believe

make-believe MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2020
    Hi, Everybody.

Is there any news of developing Mazzif's TOOL for 70p series EliteBooks? There must be a software-based solution. Because it requires good and sensitive skills to desolder the bios chip off the motherboard and reflash it with an eprom device... A bit costly. :)

12. creamyc12

creamyc12 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2017
    Can someone please enlighten me on what he's trying to say? We have the same laptop but I can't seem to reset to password...

13. herb72754

herb72754 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2011
    is their a file for probook 4440s shotgun didnt't work

14. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    My software tool will not function with these newer models. Im working on something though. Lets see what happens.

15. tonicgin

tonicgin MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2020
    Hi Mazzif, great you are back!
    I flashed the BIOS (HP8460p) with the newest one (6868SCF Ver. F.67). Despite writing even down the pw, it is not accepted and there is no F7 for the restore questions. I tried your solution, and the one from HP (sp100599.exe), too, but to no avail. Any ideas, what might get me back into BIOS or clear the pw?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Toni

16. Rui Palhares

Rui Palhares MDL Novice

May 28, 2020
    Hi,

i´ve read some of the initial pages and then saw 64 pages with people looking for BIOS password unlock... really, it should not be this hard and thank you Mazzif for helping so many people.

is there a current download active for the tool and would it work on HP 6470b?

thank you so much!

17. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013

BIOS Rev is too new. My old tools wouldn't work without a rollback. Hp nerfed rollback capabilities with new bios revs so will need a flasher to rewrite bios.

18. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    My software tools never supported the **70 series. Ever. Will need to re write bios using a flasher. My other thread discusses this in depth. My new dev if focused on this tool set.