HP with windows XP how to upgrade to server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by connecting4less, Jul 25, 2009.

1. connecting4less

connecting4less MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2007
    Hi

I have an amd 64bit 4800+ HP desktop that originally came with windows media center 2005 and i would like to format my desktop and install windows server 2003 on it and use it as a media server.

After reading so i am assuming my bios has the slp for windows xp

do i need any special instructions or things to do to add to windows 2003 server disk before installing it? or can i just upgrade from windows xp media center to windows server 2003?

Thanks

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    "Upgrade" as in reformat and reinstall? I wouldnt consider the reinstall an upgrade..A fresh install is probably not a problem. You need the correct OEMBIOS files and serial. Where did you get the W2k3 ISO?

Run the oembios.exe to see about SLP Strings..Let me know the output..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. connecting4less

Sep 10, 2007
    well i have a problem now

i installed the bios update from the modified section for my motherboard so i can add slic table to my motherboard

then the winflash crashed in windows vista

after when i restart my bios is corrupt
    i have an award bios
    but the bios flash image is in ROM
    and i read instructions it says i need BIN
    and can i make a bootable image on a CD
    cuz i am on my laptop right now and it doesnt have a floppy drive but my desktop does and it crashing big time
    lol

need some help guys

4. tds

tds MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2008
    #4 tds, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    confusing!!

what is system in your desktop now ??
    problem is your desktop or laptop ??

5. connecting4less

Sep 10, 2007
    the problem is in the desktop

i found in the moded bios thread that my bios has been moded for slic and slic 2.1
    and it says tested to be working
    so i flashed my bios then my pc froze and winflash stopped working
    on the restart the pc didn't work
    it says bios corrupt

can i flash my desktop by booting from a cd?

since i have no access to floppy drive and if i can how do i do it?

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    We NEVER RECOMMEND WINFLASH for this reason. The failure rate is sky high..With factory bios and certainly with modded bios; any modded bios.

Always flash from DOS... This is reiterated in just about every mod response..

Are you wanting server 2008 or 2003. If yo have HP system, all the parts are already there most likely. This flash is for not..

The MCE system did not need bios flash for server 2003..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ 911medic, my sentiments also didn't need to flash bios for 2003 and if i was going to flash my bios it would be to use server 2008:D

8. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    thanks for your help 911medic, i check the sticky "DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)" this is what your talking about right? is there a guide somewhere on how to do this? as I'm not sure of the steps or what I actually need, for instance what the OEM files for ? also once I add the SLIP, then I have to create an OEM XP CD? how to do that? or should i just download an OEM XP copy?

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Lets get the SLP in bios first..Few steps..not difficult, but.......

Babysteps..You need to do things in some semblence of order..

Lets get the bios ready..Download the file, burn the image, and boot. If this doesnt work for you..we move to the next.

If the disc doesnt work..I have uploaded some Bios for you with HP strings. The ITK makes it fairly easy to add slp.But it is still a flash..

Use the disc and get back to me..

10. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    OMG I Posted here instead of the other thread!! I must be lousing it lol... well I think I should just create another thread to avoid all the confusion...