HP530 laptop Slic2.0 to 2.1 possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dapjukebox, Aug 5, 2009.

1. dapjukebox

dapjukebox MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2008
  2. amdworldx

amdworldx MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    at the moment i have seen nothing that indicates it is possible modify this type of bios .like the HP Compaq 6720S the bios file can be extracted from the EXE set up via winrar , however none of the tools found on this forum is able to modify the extracted Rom.bin file. dont give up i am sure sooner or later someone will find a way .

brian

3. dapjukebox

dapjukebox MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2008
    yes it seems some HP's are a pain but it looks as though there has been some advances for Dell owners recently so perhaps all is not lost.

It seems the bios experts here have the patience of a saint to do the work they do. I have nothing but admiration for the work they do.

4. cr08

cr08 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I have the same machine but from my research it seems as if the flasher will not allow modded bios files and the BIOS and it's associated flashing program is fairly unique to a specific set of HP notebooks so it is SOL unless someone is adventurous enough to hack the flasher to allow modded bios files to be used. From there it should be pretty easy to mod the bios file itself for slic 2.1 with the existing knowledge of such a thing.

I am hoping though that someone makes a breakthrough though as I have yet to have any luck with any of the loaders on this system and still have the 'must activate in x days' message.

5. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    The reason the flash won't accept modified bios is probably due to a checksum. For Dell, if you do not fix the CRC32 at the end of the file, which also fixes the CRC32 of the whole file, it will not flash it. I am guessing it is similar at the very least or the same for HP, although I'm not sure if HP Laptop BIOS are modifiable.

6. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #7 FuzzyMaster, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. dapjukebox

dapjukebox MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2008
    #8 dapjukebox, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  8. discgolfdc

discgolfdc MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Another HP 530 laptop success.

Hi.

I, too, have successfully inserted SLIC 2.1 into my HP 530 laptop. It took no more than 5 minutes in total.

There are a couple of ways to flash the HP 530 BIOS (68MVU). There is the HPQFlash method (SP38863) and the RomPaq method (SP38864). I was successful using HPQFlash as follows (essentially a minor rehash of the instructions in the referred thread):

(1) Download HxD hex editor if you don't already have it. Google it because I can't yet include links. :mad2:
    (2) Open an HP SLIC 2.1 .bin file using HxD.
    (3) Highlight and copy the contents of this .bin file from Offset CC to the end (where it says HPQOEMSLIC-MPCWINDOWS ...)
    (4) Run the SP38863 BIOS update file (or, if you've already extracted it, navigate to C:\SWSetup\sp38863 and run HPQFlash.exe that's located there. Click "Next" once, but don't click it yet on the "Confirm Flash" screen. Hold up for just a minute.
    (5) Go back to HxD and click on "Open RAM" (it's the picture of the computer chip). If you don't know what it looks like, just use the keyboard shortcut, Shift+Ctrl+R.
    (6) In the list of processes running in virtual memory, you should see an entry for HPQFlash.exe. Open that one. You'll see another window open in HxD.
    (7) On your keyboard, hit "Ctrl-F" and type in "HPQOEMSLIC-MPCWINDOWS". HxD will find where, in the HPQFlash program, the SLIC signature is located. Just to make sure there are no other instances of it (there shouldn't be), press F3 (which is a shortcut for "Find again.").
    (8) Highlight the SLIC signature in HPQFlash. The last character that should be highlighted appears on the HEX side of the display as "1C". It is important that you are highlighting an area of exactly the same number of characters as you did in the .bin file.
    (9) Right click and select "Paste Insert". The information from the BIN file will overwrite the SLIC signature. After this happens, the new text inserted will appear red.
    (10) Save the file while it's still in memory.
    (11) Go back to the HPQFlash application and NOW click "Next." HPQFlash is now updating the BIOS with the new SLIC 2.1.
    (12) Enjoy.

It worked for me, and while I'm tech-savvy, I'm not a pro! LOL

Hope this helps.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009