hyper-v for home use questions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mac25, May 17, 2015.

1. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    I have built a home server box that's capable of virtualization in a Norco 4224 case, win 8.1 MC on a single ssd and server 2012 r2 ess on another single ssd, my first time to use any server os, changing boot order as needed.

would like to have access to both os on a single boot drive using hyp-v to virtualize either one so rdp could be used from my personal desktop to manage MC to record shows to be accessed from 2 roku's, and server 2012 for backup and restore of other PC's around the house.

which os would be the best choice for my use at home for the single boot disk ?

I have 2012 r2 ess trial setup on hyp-v in win 8.1MC now and all is working well, but is this the way it should be left for long term use ? :g: just not sure being new to server os and hyp-v.

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Since you are using Win 8.1 to record shows, I am guessing it needs access to your TV card. Since this might be hard or impossible to do if Win 8.1 is running in a VM, I suggest that you leave Win 8.1 as the physical OS and run Win 2012 in a VM.