I am want to program a game on windows or linux

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by drcoder, Dec 29, 2011.

1. drcoder

drcoder MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2011
    Dear All,

I am want to program a game on windows or linux.

I am newbie to start with a simple text game with pixels or the oldest text based VT100 like 25x80 like display.

I am want to access video memory. Also to find information on PC peripherals in a systematic fashion. The coding to be done in C, I can open/read/write binary files and store structures to save the state of a game and save and restart. I can also program some logic.

My main difficulty is to find ways to update and rewrite the screen. I am not expert in X windows. Start with DOS and then progress to using windows/linux+X API's or libraries or widgets to make the game in more pixel based without direct access to video ROM.

Please help me with implementation techniques, Design, and also if you have done a project in a computer course to scan the handouts of the project in a single chronological pdf . I would then be able and like to write a small report and share with everyone here for benefit of all.

The books are never sufficient as the authors intentionally omit important details almost invariably in my experience.

cheers
    drcoder

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Code it for Windows and run it in Linux via Wine ;)