I bought a windows 7 key and cannot download from windows site

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by toolkit, Oct 2, 2017.

1. toolkit

toolkit MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2017
    I am trying to do a clean reinstall of windows 7 pro x64.

I went to the official windows 7 download page, entered the windows 7 pro x64 key I purchased for $15, and it gives me the following error message:

"The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

Please advise me on how to proceed. Thanks!

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    $15, eh? A bet that sounded like a really good deal at the time. @toolkit it would seem as though you were scammed. The key they provided you (whatever online site you bought it off of) was likely passing out volume license keys for a manufacturer such as HP or Dell for example and as a result would have come with its own media. You will need to find a Windows 7 Pro Volume License Edition and then hope the key they gave you still works.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Poor guy, what a gambler! lol
    As a consolation prize, I'm gonna give him a MAK for perm activation. :biggrin3:

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I guess there is no harm in trying. I would be surprised if it does work though.
    I am not surprised.

8. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #12 CaptainKirk1966, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    The "Ultimate PID Checker" would tell the OP what type of key he has. I'd wager it is oem, rather than volume.

People I work with often confuse the oem-slp with volume.;) Volume keys (gvlk and mak) are not linked to any specific manufacturer.

9. toolkit

toolkit MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2017
    Wooooooot!

I downloaded X17-591186 from the alternative link provided, double checked the hash to be sure its the original iso, then installed. My $15 key works! I'm running Win 7 pro x64 without the pesky toolkit activation! Though it ran my old installation flawlessly and for free for many years, it was a pain to update, and eventually, seemingly at random, tore my windows to shreds one random morning.

For a few bucks and a single cut and paste, I have peace of mind. Knock on wood.

How can they sell working keys for $15? I have a feeling something will go wrong. This seems too good to be true.

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #15 GOD666, Oct 3, 2017
    There is always the possibility that your key may one day become invalid as such sellers often get caught and all their keys become invalid, but then again, buying directly from Microsoft and paying full price is no guarantee either as many have experienced that (myself included). So I would say, enjoy it for however long it lasts and be thankful you paid only €15.

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I find it amazing that in the globalized, neo-liberal world of 2017 people still have the desire to at least appear to be honest and law abiding, what they consider they assume to mean a "Good Person"....

Toolkit... wake up!

12. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #17 GOD666, Oct 3, 2017
    :rofl:

I cannot fault people who are at least trying to find a middle ground, be it perhaps, not 100% ethical, but at least they do seek a compromise. --- Buying Microsoft Windows for €15 (if true) may not be by the book, but at least they're making the effort to purchase it at what they deem to be a reasonable price, as opposed to outright theft. -- Not me though. Microsoft has screwed me over once too many times and as you said, why bother pretending! I have absolutely no intentions of letting Microsoft possibly screw me out of another euro (again). Of course, in the effort to seek sensible and affordable justice, I have a sense of entitlement to that end and feel I am owed for what I paid for, so I will proceed how I need to in order to obtain that goal.

I make no attempt to hide that fact. :p

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Then let me put it this way for you: Do you think that toolkit will do anything like that ever again?
    Then this means his action was nothing but an attempt at being what a society which in truth with "greed by all mean as only value left", still pretends means being "normal".
    So, in reality it was the result of a conditioning that is supposed to keep someone in the ranks of the "ripped-off", instead of joining the club of the "rippers-off".
    I am not saying that one is preferable over the other, I am saying the world in which live thanks to globalised ne-liberalism, forces you again and again to pick one side over the other. And the more ruthless, the more successful you will be.

If I told you in 2011 that five years later the Americans will elect Donald Trump for president, would you have thought it possible?
    Toolkits behaviour did not fall from the sky and made him do it. Reality simply caught up with him.... (My apologies if this is too O.T.)

14. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    #19 wyatt23, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Yes, i would have thought it was possible escpecially after they elected the special needs kid twice :D

1st dumbo now agent orange(the tangerine scream). Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin.

Dunno about god bless america, i think hes pissing himself laughing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Agreed about Carlin...
    "Dunno about god bless america, i think hes pissing himself laughing." Probably watched Las Vegas....