I can't conclude win 10 creators update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Walker D, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    #1 Walker D, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Hi, this is based on a previous post, but I created a new thread for this cause it seems more appropriate.

My PC has dual boot (win7 first and win10 after it); win7 with DAZ loader, and Win 10 Home from the free update.
    I don't have the creators update installed (and I don't know if I really should). The thing is, my pc has tried to do this update at least 3 times in the past, but every time, the creators update installation fails at the end (it started updating, rebooted the pc some times to finish installation, then it failed installing and had to automatically restore previous installation).
    I'm kinda having the impression that the fact that my pc dual boots has something to do with this update issue, since every time this installation process happened and failed, my win7 in the other partition got deactivated (then I had to run DAZ loader there).

Due to this issue, I started using UpdaterDisabler, to try to avoid this creators update to keep failing installs ...and it disables normal updates properly, but everytime I start Windows, the Windows 10 Update Assistant downloads automatically and starts running ...not sure if UpdaterDisabler should also avoid that though, but was the mesure I took over this issue.

The Creators Update seems to come full of bloatware and stuff that would only fill my hdd, so I was not too interested in updating, but I would if it was the best option. Not having to worry with auto-downloads and auto-updates would be good though.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My brother had a problem updating to the Creators update also w/ no successes.
    I sent him some tips on getting it working.
    If you haven't tried these already, you might keep them in mind.

1. disable AV software (he had Norton)
    try again
    2 boot into safe mode
    try again
    that's all I remember, but what he did worked for him.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    3rd party AV's are known showstoppers when upgrading.

4. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    hum.. weird, I don't have any AV installed.. Win10 has only windows defender (that I don't even use), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot-S&D (both don't start at startup). Win7 only has Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, that doesn't starts at startup also.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Do you have 3rd party visualisations program's that you use ? With me windowblinds caused problems in the past with upgrading my system

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Walker D

Walker D MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    In Win10, where the problem is, I have no skins, just the clean install. In Win7 I think I have a skin to change the start menu icon.
    It's weird that after the update fails, and win10 has to restore a previous installation, it also causes my win7 to get deactivated somehow.. ..seems to have some relation to the issue, even though I have no clue about what's causing this.

Also, is the full Creators update recommended? Or is it better to get a tuned down version of sorts?