I can't get this screen to come up.. why? (screenshot)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by piercekalton, Oct 20, 2011.

1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    #21 piercekalton, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    (OP)
    now I'm getting the XP Repair Install screen, this obviously has something to do with what I did in ERD

edit: what I did in ERD

1. system file repair (long list of corrupt files replaced)

2. partial system restore

result: still can't boot, but now I can repair

2. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    oh, also as a side note. the Win7 Startup repaired seemed to run some type of hard drive or disk check prior to attempting repair. I assume this was a chkdsk. so it did recognize something haywire and tried to do something about it

I've actually had unbootable PC's that were remedied by a simple chkdsk /r and boot repair

3. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    #23 piercekalton, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    (OP)
    how can I tell if my XP install is AHCI or IDE?

it doesn't even matter until it tries to load the driver right?

4. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    I get all the way to mup.sys now.. what comes after that that would cause a blue screen?

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    where did you get the machine, and why does it have to have a "custom setup"?

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Sounds like the ISO is corrupt(medium) or the rom drive is not reading well. The cd should read and install all the way to the last reboot I would think..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    it could be but I assume this is an F6 driver issue

I've found out this XP installation uses AMD AHCI drivers and AHCI is enabled in the bios

so I assume an XP repair install is going to fail at some point if I try to do it in native IDE mode without the drivers, is this correct?

everything I have been doing so far is in native IDE mode. am I correct in assuming this is ok for repairing system files and chkdsk and the like, but not for a repair install?

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As far I know, SP0, SP1 and SP2 XP lack of AHCI drivers; only SP3 XP uses somekind of generic AHCI driver ~ correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

9. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    #29 piercekalton, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    (OP)
    I didn't think SP3 had any AHCI driver (it may, but I'm unaware of it)

but that's not my question, my question is will a non-F6 repair install fail when trying to repair an XP install that uses an AHCI driver while the BIOS is set to native IDE.

I'm just confused about the details of the AHCI vs IDE driver issues when repairing/restoring/recovery console etc..

to phrase differently, if I switch to native IDE from AHCI, should a non-F6 repair install work properly?

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I think if the drive is recognized, you do not need the F6 drivers. (already installed somewhere)..Maybe try disconnecting all peripherals not needed to boot and repair. I have had some USB drives and card readers cause problems with installs and repairs at times....-Just a thought..:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    #31 piercekalton, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    (OP)
    thanks for the help everyone, I gave up on this

12. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    the drive will always be recognized but if you have it set to the wrong mode in the bios windows will blue screen so that's why I figured a repair install might error also.

I didn't think to disconnect the card readers and stuff from the board. ty for that tip