I can't tell if my computer is OK

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tangone, Jul 24, 2014.

1. tangone

tangone MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2008
    I have an old HP build to mess with Blue Ray and HD-DVD. Yes 7 years old now. After a vent fan failure I decided to monitor my CPU temps. Was shocked at values from Core Temp and CPUID HWMonitor. 100-102C. Checked with Intel (Quad core 2 Q6700 65 nm) & HP and found out that the Tcase should not exceed 62.5C (T junction about 68C). Ran stress test with Prime 95 w/ 100% load on all cores. No errors reported. After adding an extra variable speed vent fan, my temps now starts around 65C and usually reaches 90C under stress. My computer runs fine with no errors I can see. I am concerned. Looking forward to anyone with similiar issues. Thanks, tangone

2. molitan

molitan MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2014
    I had similar proc. Q6600 OCed and Your temps are quite high. But in HWmonitor look for proc. package temp, which I think should be compared to those Intels limits.

3. demoniality

demoniality MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2012
    Have you tried running prime for a good couple of hours? If no errors after that should be fine.

Almost sounds like the cpu heatsink needs to be re-seated, or maybe just a new heatsink?

4. Zigen

Zigen MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2013
    When was the last time thermal paste was applied? Probably dried up