I dont want to dual boot I want to have seperate bootloaders, how do I do this?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ryouga, May 17, 2014.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have Windows on a SSD, but the problem is if I want to reinstall ubuntu(every time a new version comes out I delete and reinstall) but then it overwrites the windows bootloader which I do not want, I just want to press button to get into device select at bios startup then just boot into hard drive I want as choosing operating system just seems pointless as I have to do it every time.

So aside from disconnecting my SSD which I do not want to do as it means removing side of case every time I want to do this is there a way for when I go to install it to just have it install the loader onto the same drive as linux? I know I can install it as normal, use windows to remake its loader and software to install loader onto the linux hard drive but this is extra time that seems silly.

2. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    A little confusing, to clarify I have a SSD for windows, a hard drive for gaming, emulation, temporary downloads(then I move them to external or burn to dvd) and a empty small 60 gig drive I want to use for linux so I want OS of each to boot from the same drive they are installed to, no prompts from bootloader i.e if the SSD is main drive in the bios it boots straight into windows with no asking what drive I want to boot from, if I select the linux drive I want it to boot straight into linux without asking me if I want to boot Windows or Linux.

As for why I do this its pure OCD nothing else.