I have a few questions about sp2

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by derzahn, May 27, 2009.

1. derzahn

derzahn MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    #1 derzahn, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Hello, I use a modded asus bios slic and I was wondering what I need to remove to install sp2 without getting "this copy of windows is invalid", and "windows detected software that may bypass activation" I mistakenly installed update KB940510 check tool about a month ago but managed to use a system restore to get that warning to go away. I still have the OEM activation kit folder on my main hard drive. Is windows detecting this when it checks for boot loaders? and can I safely remove this folder? Also will this even help if I do remove it? Any tips on what i need to remove is greatly appreciated.

2. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    If you have a modded BIOS, there is no reason for you to be using bootloaders and softmods.

Although I would do a fresh re-install because of the softmods you used. Then follow the instructions for inserting the proper oem cert and key.

I dont trust the unloaders/removers.. they never worked for me.

3. derzahn

derzahn MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    #3 derzahn, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply,

The only thing I used I was told I needed too after I modded the bios. The OEM activation kit. Bios flash, install vista, copy the regsistration file to your Drive C, run the command provided in the text file then change the product key to the correct version for your manufacturer. I followed the instructions after I downloaded the modded bios, maybe I missed something? As far as I know that was the only way to do it.

This is all I did after I flashed the bios and installed vista.

1, open command line box in admin mode
    2, run this command 'slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\ASUS.xrm-ms' minus the ' marks
    3, click properties on my computer & enter your key for your particular hardware

The only files in the oem activation kit are the ASUS.xrm-ms an asuslogo.bmp an asuslogo.pmp the cd key text and an oobe.xml document.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. derzahn

derzahn MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks for your reply,

My vista is activated and has been for a while now, as far as I know. I have not received any warnings about it needing to be activated since I installed it 8 months ago. The issue is "windows detected software that may bypass activation" So if I do the command prompt you suggested to change the cd key even though windows is activated that error will not appear if I install sp2? or is it because I still have a folder on my main hard drive called OEM activation kit?

6. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    #6 jasqid, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If your bios is modded and did you just used the oem activation kit to copy logos you will be fine with sp2. You will only find out one way and that is by installing sp2:)

8. derzahn

derzahn MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks once again for the response but I think I might be confusing you some how. The kit itself is just a collection of files to do the command line for putting the xrm-ms in, I changed the cd key by using the properties tab on my pc. AS far as I know I did not install any software. I already know that putting sp2 on the way it is right now is going to be a failure as I described in one of my earlier posts. To be clear vista is activated...I have used no boot loading software ever. I ran the command, changed the key and that was that. It works fine. The problem I am trying to address is why I got that error. I know it scans windows for the files used by soft modding I was just wondering if the folder that contains the 4 files and is named OEM activation kit is what is causing windows to think I am using some sort of software. Sorry if I seem like I am thick or something but it seems the question I asked in the first place was never answered. Thanks again for your prompt replies.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ derzahn, sorry misunderstood but you can remove that folder and try sp2 again because certificate has allready been added.

10. derzahn

derzahn MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    Thank you once again for your prompt response, I took a chance before you had a chance to respond and removed the folder with the files in it, installed sp2 and it works fine. Cheers for the help gents.(albeit it was a bit confusing) :D