I need my data back!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deliafric214, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Deliafric214

Deliafric214 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    Hello! Advice needed here. I can see my WD external hard drive on my Windows 7 computer. But, there is nothing displayed on this hard drive that should have contained 4GB of photos, songs, documents and videos, etc. I don’t know what’s wrong with this drive. Do you know about it? How can I re-access my 4GB of data there?
    Please, help me!

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Maybe the files are hidden, google unhide.exe and let it run.

3. makie006

makie006 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    If your PC read your external hard drive so then the main problem is in your hard disk. Technically there chance that the hard disk is dead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aaAdele44

aaAdele44 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    According to your description, you may try these following ways to resolve your problem:

1). Try to unhide these files.
    According to your description, your files may be hidden anyway. Try to show them all up again:
    Start => Run => Type in "control folders" and press "OK" =>Click "View" and hook "Show hidden files and folders"=> Press "OK".

2). Scan your computer with antivirus tool
    Sometimes, the virus also would hide the files make them invisible for you. So, just try to do antivirus scan on your computer. (You should take care not to delete some needed files in the process.)

3). Restore your files back by using an external hard drive data recovery programm.
    This problem also could be caused by the drive problems. So, if you want to save these files, you'd better try to use an external hard drive data recovery program that always could help retrieve the inaccessible files back for the user.

I know there are some drive data recovery freeware that could help you a lot, such as Recuva, Easeus, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Good luck!

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Attach to another computer and see if it can see your files. If it can, you'll be ahead of the game by off-loading all your data, reformatting the drive, and copying your data back onto it.

If on the other computer you can't see your files it's time to try the data recovery tools. If you just can get your data back, it's time to go to your backup to get your files back.

6. Deliafric214

Deliafric214 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    Thank you for your guys’ replies.
    All these mentioned data recovery programs are great. But, only the one named iCare Data Recovery Free has finally retrieved all my wanted files back.
    Thank you very much!

7. Deliafric214

Deliafric214 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2013
    Thank you for your detailed answer. I have tried all your listed possibilities. My hard drive may get some problems. So, I have tried your mentioned data recovery freeware. They all work well and finally restored all my needed data back, especially the last data recovery freeware.
    Thanks!!