I need this file quickly

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Ayad, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ayad

Ayad MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Thanks to all :)

2. kataatak

kataatak MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2012

i think i've find the way to restore my laptop from death but no .DEC file i think the .FD file is already not crypted so i've used the Andy's tool '' extract'' bottom to extract a 3 Mo file will flash th eeprom tomorow thnx for the description

3. kataatak

kataatak MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2012
    no results :mad:

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. ikilledbambi

ikilledbambi MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Many thanks for the link to these files.

Have tried 144D and 1590.bin but unfortunately still no boot.

I thought it may be helpful to provide a bit more background as to what is happening when I power on the machine as I may be mistaken into thinking it is a BIOS related fault or other hardware problem.

CMOS battery has been removed since I commenced working on the machine about 2 weeks ago along with the main battery.

Plug laptop into power and press power on button. Fan spins up with power and orange hard drive led illuminated and then shuts down after about 3 seconds.

Laptop then powers up again without touching it with the power and hard drive leds illuminated. Caps lock led blinks on and off at regular intervals and F10 wireless led is also illuminated continuously (not blinking).

Laptop will continue running until either power is removed or power button held down until machine shuts down.

If machine is left running fan will increase to full speed in around 3 to 4 minutes and continue until laptop is manually shut down.

Before I started playing around trying to recover the BIOS the F9 and F10 keyboard leds were continuously illuminated along with the flashing cap lock key led. The hard drive light however was not illuminated from what I can remember.

Looking at the caps lock led error code lookup on the HP site It would suggest a processor issue however I believe there was also a problem with the original BIOS eeprom as it was not possible to verify any writes to it without errors.

Replacement of the eeprom has at least enabled succesful write and verify operations but unfortunately all images I have tried so far have resulted in failure.

This whole UEFI business seems to be a bit of a minefield and without the benefit of being able to dump the original bios before replacing it makes things a lot more difficult.

Thanks again.

p.s. I think I will now call the laptop Bambi if I cannot rescue it from the dead ...

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #47 LatinMcG, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    what spi programmer u have ? ( if its home made it likely wont work right most times.. i had bought one cause of the same issue.)

are u programming on the board or desoldering?

once u flash it follow the HP EFI recovery steps and it might recover.

try 1 ram stick at time.

7. ikilledbambi

ikilledbambi MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010

Using a USB EZP2010 and also tried with 2 old LPT programmers I also have.
    Tried flashing eeprom off board and also on-board in system and now leaving eeprom soldered as programmer appears to be writing to chip successfully without haveing to desolder.
    Tried with 1 stick of ram and also with other spare modules but same result.
    Looking at the BIOS files I notice that there is data at the very start and end of the original decrypted BIOS files from HP however on the cut files this information appears to be missing?
    Not sure if this would make any difference as I do not fully understand the BIOS structure so just an observation on my part.
    Have tried the recovery routine again with a USB flash drive with the decrypted BIOS files but no signs of machine trying to access the flash drive with or without any key combinations being tried.
    Also have built a USB with the HP_TOOLS structure and decrypted but machine also refuses to access the USB flash drive.

8. ikilledbambi

ikilledbambi MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks but no success yet and after flashing each one of these in turn makes no difference to the laptops behaviour.

Looking at the files gave me an idea though due to the way the BIOS files were named corresponding to the Platform ID's.

The computer model on the base of the laptop is specified as a HP Envy 17-1050EA and checking the HP parts listing for this model the motherboard part should be 603771-001 but the part number of the motherboard in this laptop reads 618859-001.
    618859-001 is normally fitted in the Envy17 -1100 CTO models equipped with FHD displays with this info being taken from the US HP website.
    I can only assume that this model has been fitted with a replacement motherboard at some stage or the part has been fitted due to availability problems with 603771-001 but it does appear they share the same BIOS and Platform ID od 144D.
    It is embarrassing for me that I did not check this earlier and now have to assume this machine is an Envy17-1100 CTO in 1050EA clothing...

Really appreciate your help so far LatinMcG :)

9. ikilledbambi

ikilledbambi MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Have removed and refitted eeprom about half a dozen times to reflash with the images kindly advised by LatinMcG which did make a difference to the leds illuminated on the keyboard. Flashing in system does not work in this case and I would assume if a board does not have an ISP SPI flash header then desoldering is the only way to go.
    Doing some further work with the images I have and this may take some more time but will post back my results and details of the image that finally worked for me.

10. yadab100

yadab100 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2012
    Dear Yen,
    I download hp 430 bios file from hp website , i use hex editor & fix 4096 size then program but it didnot work. debug card error 62 not displaying. what can i do.

11. zsolti

zsolti MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    Dear Everybody,
    I have a HP 630 laptop with dead BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS files from hp.com, it's a sp*.exe. I extracted it and found 3 *.fd files. One of them is 2,18MB and two of them are 4,51MB. The BIOS chip is a MXIC 25L320E6, so there is a 32 Mb chip with max. 4,00MB space. I found this Phoenix Mod tool, and created a *.DEC from one of the two 4,51MB files. (I selected the Maufacturer, SLIC File, SLP File inside of Phoenix Tool as well). The decrypted file's size is still larger than 4,00MB: it's 4,12MB. I read about to cut this file but I don't know where. Could you please help me?

Regards

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    easiest way is to dump bios chip backup.bin and compare it with hex editor from bottom up

13. zsolti

zsolti MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    It isn't possible at this time. What is the other way?