i need windows to read my new key and not the key in bios..

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by s4m, Dec 8, 2013.

1. s4m

s4m MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2013
    Hi
    I was hoping someone could answer this problem for me..

My notebook came preinstalled with windows 8 standard and now I am trying to do a clean install of windows 8.1 pro. i have a legit valid key and MS has confirmed it, but when i install using this key the product ID is different then the product ID for the key..

I have tried installing via usb and replaced the install.wim file which was meant to work but it didnt, after install its still showing up with the same product iD and phone activation numbers.. this key which is valid will aloow me to use during install, but after install i run command slui 3 and then try put in the 8.1pro keys but it says key is invalid even thought its valid and been confirmed by MS.. i then tried another legit win 8.1 pro key and same thing it says the key isnt valid..

i need to work out how to by pass the bios key so i can use my own key..

others have had similar problems, with them its a little dif, when they try install 8.1pro the imbedded key will recognize it as 8.1standard and install the standard addition.. i tried to use the steps they used to resolve but didnt help either...

mine when u check it shows that i have 8.1pro installed, i need it to stop reading bios key and start reading the key i input during install..

does anyone have any ideas or know a fix?

thanks

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    make a text file named pid.txt and place it in your sources folder.

inside the pid.txt should be
    Code:
    [PID]
    Value=YOUR-WIN81-PRO-KEY

3. s4m

s4m MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2013
    #3 s4m, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi I tried adding pid txt to my sources folder and even though it allowed to me to install 8.1 pro without a key it still didnt work, the product ID doesnt match the key product ID and the phone activation numbers are incorrect..

again i also tried slui 3 and entered my correct key but it says it didnt work..

not sure what to do now..

4. ihatemdl

ihatemdl MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    Option 1: Install Windows 8 using ONBOARD Key - activate .... then use upgrade option (anytime upgrade or whatever it is called now) utilising your pro key (i read the only method it will work)

Option 2: Return your box and get one without 8 preinstalled

Option 3: KMS Server like described here in forum

5. s4m

s4m MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2013
    I tired to upgrade and again the key failed...
    i called microsoft support today who again confirmed its a pro rtm and remote logged into my pc to try activate and honestly they have people there that dont have a clue, microsoft is slipping.. anyways they transfered me to another departemnent and they asked for my name number and email, which i gave, and then they tried to activate and again had no clue, not sure but they must of realised i had a dreamspark account then they tried to claim it was a dreamspark msdn key and told me i had to install the edition off that site which was a total load of bull..

that key wouldnt work on my new pc because it was already activated once on my old pc.. i tried another key and it installed with a clean install flawlessly, i didnt have to change the install.wim or the PID file..

and now installing my drivers..
    I then reinstalled win 8 pro back on my old pc and guess what the key worked flawlessly...

turn out even though i deactivated the key and unstalled win 8.1 pro off my old pc, it still wouldnt allow me to activate on the new PC..

now if MS had any clue on what they were doing, they would of realised that, because i did tell them it was a key i deactivated off my old pc..

anyways problem solved i guess, but im not happy about the fact i had to waste a second key because MS didnt know how to activate their own operating system..

Thanks for the help :)

6. ihatemdl

ihatemdl MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    What a nightmare - on top shelling out money ... I'm glad I'm using LinuxMint.

7. opssemnik

opssemnik MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    your reply was better to be inexistent then be the way it is, wanna start a war saying what os is better?sure, that will only serve to tell us, that you are still a kid that still did not learn that comparing personal preferences is bs.
    -ONTOPIC: am i missing something here? your laptop came with windows 8, but you are trying to install 8.1 pro? (yours came with core and you trying to install pro?), are you using the really same version as your laptop came(SingleLanguage, etc...)?

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Install Windows 8.1 Pro using a GVLK key that you can grab for free from MS site and then activate using your own purchased Windows 8.1 Pro key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I had the same problem. Dell AIO with Windows 8 Core OEM. There was no way to install any other OS. Since Windows 8.x was showing incorrect key. The only work around was using "Windows Deployment System". I had a Windows Server 2012 R2 with WDS and the required Windows 8.x installed on my Home Server. Enabled PIX boot on the Dell AIO installed the required OS which was Windows 8.1 Enterprise & activate it by KMS. I hope this will help

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Interesting...
    So the existing MSDM bios key is blocking a different install's legit key?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I disagree; you just need to know how to bypass the serial screen. Any SKU can be installed.

12. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010