I need your advice

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rokon, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    He has a celeron processor and only 1 gb ram. If it's a desktop and only has 40 gb hard drive.... Correct me if I'm wrong but that pc must 6 or more years older... I doubt that can run windows 7 well. He's better of sticking with windows xp or 98.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I beg to differ.

IF he turns off aero and all other visual enhancements, and unwanted services, and...well if he just follows the guide I linked him to, it will run surprisingly smooth. I did it myself with an athlonXP 1600+ with 1gb ram and 25gb harddisk.
    How old is that machine, you think ?

3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on an Sempron 2400-based system with just 1 gig of DDR400 and PATA hard drives (my two 160GB SATA2 Western Digital drives in this old machine both went bad within the past six months - yes this old motherboard has two SATA1 ports).

I've installed Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 and Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 v9 and some free web server software and it runs just fine!

This isn't my main machine, of course, but it would definitely still do for internet, email and even some slow DVD copying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BrooklynJoe

BrooklynJoe MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2009
    My guess is it dates back to Summer 2001. I built a system using that CPU and an Abit KG7. It's still going strong, though it's now on its 4th owner. I agree, Win7 should run fine with the eye candy turned off. Can never have too much HD space, and more RAM would help. :)

5. rokon

rokon MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Thank you so much

Everyone by his name

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    that is why there are stickies and search in this forum use them.

Thread closed.