I need your help with my drive partition

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Hugo6752, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Hugo6752

Hugo6752 MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2014
    My computer drive partitions always have enough space to hold my wanted files, folder and programs. However, overtime, since I have installed a lot of interesting game there, the system partition seems to get a low disk space problem. The computer runs really slowly. So, I think perhaps I can try to restore its fast performance by expanding this C partition. Is that right? Please help me to expand it successfully! Thanks!!!

2. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    I would start by running disk cleanup. If your drive is full of crap - better to get rid of that first.

3. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Need more information about your drive, please.

What size is your C: drive?

Did you install Windows yourself? - If so, the default is to use the entire drive, meaning the drive is full and the only practical option is to purchase a larger drive and clone the old drive to the new one. There are free tools to accomplish this - the key is to understand what you are doing and verifying that your source (old) drive remains unaltered, in case you need to redo the procedure.

Did you buy a configured system? If so, there may exist a D: partition that can be deleted. Then you would expand the C: partition to use this space.

Do you know how to view the partition(s) in Disk Management?

Again, many here can assist you, but more needs to be known about your current configuration.

4. Lionel563

Lionel563 MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2014
    Yes, it is a good idea to expand your C partition space. But, before you do that, you should check whether there is enough free space that locates on the same physical computer partitions. In your case, you are supposed to check whether there is free space on other partitions.
    If there is, you can directly shrink one partition in Disk Management and right click this C partition to extend it there.
    But, if you think this is not easy for you, you can also ask some partition resizing tools for help, such as EaseUS Partition Master, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and more.
    One more thing, in case of data loss, backing up all partition data in advance is also very important.
    I hope my words can help you out.

5. xakerz

xakerz MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2014
    I always have disk C: for system and disk D: dor my games and staff. Don't forget tp clean up TEMP folder ;) usually there is a lot of junk after games and software installing :)
    Programs like Auslogics Boot speed will help you make your sysytem partition clean

6. Aurora803

Aurora803 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2014
    What version of Windows do you use, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows XP?

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, as long as you have free space on other partitions, you often can extend the partition space in Disk Management. Moreover, in order to simplify the extending process, you also can take chances with some third party partition resizing tools.

But, if you are using Windows XP, you often can not use the first way. But, the second partition resizing tool is also OK!

I know there is a related article that may tell you some details about partition resizing stuffs:
    partition-magic-server-2003.blogspot.com/2013/11/resize-server-2003-partition-free.html

Note: save all important data on separate drives before the extending process.

7. paulsandy85

paulsandy85 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    Clean up some of your drive space with this easy to execute procedure. See more here, youtu.be/t3F5mPIV9IM

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There are a few commands you could do that don't require messing with partitions:
    cleanmgr.exe will clean up temp folders. (run as admin or click on system files option)
    depending on which version of windows 8 you have, you can run either:
    win8 - dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    win8.1 - dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

Both of these options will just clean up a few hundred megs of space though.
    To really reduce the amount of space being used, you need to uninstall stuff you are not using, and make sure their files get deleted when the program is uninstalled.

9. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    free drive space has nothing to do with system performance. (unless it is extremely low) in which case delete something!

10. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    you are talking to people who are angry about the 100 meg that Windows uses for booting. I think they have bigger problems at this point.