I recently heard about VPN routers and I want to know more

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RemixDeluxe, Apr 3, 2017.

1. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    I know of VPN services and I know what VPNs are but I never knew of VPN routers. What makes them different from regular routers and how can I tell if my router is a VPN router? Does this mean I dont have to pay for a VPN service if I have a VPN router?

2. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

wow is it literally like those routers that come with your isp ?

3. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

Wait so some isps provide routers that automatically connect to a vpn or did you purchase this router from a third party.?

4. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Please stop posting and let someone else more knowledgeable respond instead. I don't ask this to be mean but I'm trying to learn more, hope you can understand.

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

No i was just curious as well sorry

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I would assume it depends on what you want to do, if you want to use someone else's VPN service then you could use a free VPN service or a paid one, same as you would use a desktop VPN client program except you're using the router to connect instead of software

Or you want to set up your own VPN, then it would be free, but you would only be connecting to your own router from some remote location, say if you were going abroad and wanted to use your home connection to connect to the net or something from your mobile

Never used it on the router, but that's my understanding of what you could do

8. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    My company uses OpenVPN, it's very secure. You will not have any problems with it related to security.

9. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2015
    Got it. So a VPN router simply means it has the settings to have a VPN service installed onto it.

I'll be doing my homework on VPN services. I want one that doesn't keep logs and cares about your privacy and not sell out to your ISP. Being flexible with most devices is a bonus (redundant if I can install on my router) but good customer service is a must too.

I'll keep a note on your suggestion and what other people here recommend. Thank you.

10. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jamiehennings

jamiehennings MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2017
    VPN works as a secure tunnel between company to web. It provides 24/7 access to central network resources from anywhere in the world that too without any need of directly dialing into office. It works like a online firewall that protects data on office computers. Data travells thorugh the tunnel in encrypted format that ensures a secure access over public connections and securing data from interuders.

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Exactly.
    _____