I think I killed my Acer Aspire 5520 while updating bios..

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mack87, Feb 3, 2012.

1. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Hello everyone! I'm somewhat new here, I never posted but I always used your guides and information.

I purchased a Acer Aspire 5520, and I used the utility provided by Acer to update the BIOS (I was trying to SLIP it), I reflashed it. While in DOS, I think the utility FROZE and the computer shut down. Now I can't get it to TURN on at ALL. There's no power lights, nothing.

Can this be related to a corrupt bios? I would think it would at least power on or give a LED. It gives NOTHING.

Any ideas, suggestions, would be wonderful. I have it torn apart now.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks. I messed with it some. But it didn't react to anything I did.. no fan, nothing but I think it has do with the fact that I didn't have a usb drive. So I'll do that tonight I bought one I hope it fixes it, if not it'll be sent back and replaced.

4. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Nothing I've done works, it simply shows a red power light that is really almost impossible to see. I tried every method possible, no fans, no cd reading. I bricked it good, I guess. :mad:

5. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    #5 mack87, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    (OP)
    OK here's what I did. I disassembled the laptop completely. After looking at it, I find that the light around the switch is really, faint orange. The power LED is also faint orange. If anyone has a idea as to what this is (I'm sure BIOS), please let me know asap! I'll be sending it back Monday to get it replaced.. but I want to try to avoid that ! Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Still messing with it. I really want to keep this laptop :'(

If anyone has any idea, PLEASE let me know. It does not turn on, all I have is a faint light.

7. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    #8 mack87, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks. I'm already on that site. I created a CD. When I do the method - FN+ESC I get NO CD, NO POWER ON, just a faint orange light. What could this mean? I lucked out to destroy something more then the BIOS? I've connected with just ac, just battery, different power adapters, same thing - faint orange light. I can't see it if there is any light.. I have to turn off everything in my room to see it.

I've done FN+ESC, FN+B, WIN+B, WIN+ESC.. everything possible. It has no reaction to anything I do.

Should I just accept that it is dead (without resoldering a new bios)?

8. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    well,all i can tell you is that i had an old Dell laptop that i found in the attic and installed WDP 8 32-bit on it,and it died after 7 hours,it turned out to be the bios chip,my friend replaced it for me but now i installed windows 7 32 bit on it:), so maybe your bios chip is blown:confused:

9. mack87

mack87 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    Yea, I'm thinking that too? It's weird, I'd think at LEAST the FAN would power up. Nothing. Nada. Trying another guide now to see.